February 27, 2006  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Guess what, it really does work! Now I will just need to figure out how to get it out to those that I desire to communicate with. But, I have a feeling, you will all soon discover a lot of prattling! Since I did not have it completed in time to wish Shana a Happy Birthday, I would like to start my first posting with a birthday wish to you, having a 36 year old daughter is a reality check as to how fast time flies and how many changes we have witnessed in a few short years. The day that Shana was born, we were living on Adak, at that time fathers were not permitted in the labor room and forget the delivery room - that was guarded by a big "dyke" nurse who blamed all men for what was transpiring behind the closed doors that she guarded. Even after baby Shana was born, I was permitted to enter the room, but only after I was sterilized, if that would have happened prior to Shana, she would have never been born. But finally, after being decked out in sterile gowns, face mask, and sugical gloves I was permitted to enter the room and see my first daughter. Although, I was not permitted to touch her or Terry, at least I got to see her nose sticking out from under the blanket. For three days, I visited every "visiting period", about three hours a day and after donning my sterilization suit, I finally got to touch her hand. This sterilization procedure has always bothered me, after three days baby Shana got to come home and for the next several years she made a habit of either puking, peeing,or pooping on me,now how sanitary is that and where was the "dyke" nurse to protect me? Today, things have change, you can now have the entire family in the delivery room, each equipped with digital video cameras recording the entire procedure to insure the world will see everything in living color including the audio of the mother screaming her lungs out and questioning the origins of the man that got her into this situation. Isn't it wondrous how medical science has developed and whatever happened to all those germs that we use to have? Just thoughts to ponder! So Very Happy Birthday and please always remember the sacrifices that I made just to visit you when you were born and you could not even talk! How peaceful those days were!
Recently, I realized just how blessed our family has been over the past 60 years. Thus early into my life, I have lost my father, mother and two bothers. You may question why I feel that we are blessed after loosing four members of my immediate family, but we truly are. My parents had eight(8)children,in their lifetime they only had to mourn the loss of only one of those children. Those eight(8)children provided them with seventeen (17)grandchildren. To date, those seventeen (17)grandchildren have produced thirty four(34)great grandchildren and two (2) great, great grandchildren. Although, I may have missed one or two, my parents currently have forty four(44)off spring and that is where we are truly blessed! In the era of fast cars (yes, even in the 50's and 60's)and the abundance of other things that can go wrong, we as a family have never lost a child! We indeed have been blessed and fortunate. The loss of Don was another tough one to handle, especially the way it occurred, but he always did things "his own way" and he made the decision to conceal it from the rest of us, his choice and I respect him for that. Prior to his passing, he reconciled his differences and feelings about one of your other uncles, they parted as brothers and friends, by taking those steps, he was instrumental in bonding the family. I will always miss his "stupid" letters, his phone calls in the middle of the night, and his incessant number of dirty jokes. He was a good man and at his memorial service I discovered how truly he was loved by a lot of people. There were several men at his memorial service that came out of respect for him, although, I think they just came to make sure he was gone and that their wives were safe.
Well, my first real posting is as always verbose, but I figure that it will give you something to do beside sitting on the couch, eating bon-bon's and watching soap operas. All take care of yourselves and the little ones.

This entry was posted on February 27, 2006 at Monday, February 27, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

You made my day!!! I can't wait to read more and more and more. I'm gonna link you....

2/27/06, 7:38 AM

Ha ha! Heidi and Shana sucked you into the blogging world, how exciting! Welcome aboard. :)

2/27/06, 11:26 PM

Thank you dad. My Birthday was a wonderful event this year...sure beats the past six. I am glad you have come to join us in the world of Blog....your an inspiration to us all...the kid in us will live forever thanks to you....as for that little story about me as a baby...thanks it reminded me that yes....I too used to be small, cuddley and pooped everywhere....so now I am going back to playing Candy Land...to hell with balencing the check book....

2/28/06, 7:51 AM

Post a Comment