Working / Retriever Class Dogs  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Have been spending some time visiting the marsh land at the mouth of the Anchor River in order to photograph the migratory waterfowl that frequent this area in the spring. Until today, I have had only the Mallard and Merganser Ducks to entertain myself.

Drove down to the parking area overlooking the "Scum Bag Hole", a flock of Merganser played along the edges of the river across from me. Since no other vehicles were around, I let my two assistants out to exercise. "Dutch" and "Ruger" were exploring the grass and finding all kinds of new smells and other items to explore. As I sat awaiting their return, I notice three heads popping up in the marsh grass about a hundred yards from where I was parked. Recognizing them as geese, I prepared my camera. I knew that to get a good picture, I would need to cross the open space and get in as close as possible.

I stepped from my truck and slowly made my way through the marsh grass in my "tenny" runners. Not totally prepared for the marsh mud that I would encounter to get close enough. I went as far as I considered it to be safe, from both spooking the geese and having to "mud wallow". It was then I spotted "Ruger" back at the truck. I called him and he came a running. If you don't know "Ruger" he has had no formal training as a retriever and slightly handicapped with having only one eye. I pointed the geese out to him and his instincts kicked in, he did not run, he slowly and deliberately walked towards the geese. Stopping occasionally in order not to spook them. I was so proud of him in the way that he was working.

"Dutch" seeing that we were playing, joined me just as the flock of three geese went airborne.


"Ruger" On Hold


"One More Step"

"Geese Launch"


"Fly By" Past My Camera Lens"

The Geese then circled out over the inlet and came right back in to land at the edge of a small gravel bar in the Anchor River.

"Water Landing"


Both "Dutch" and "Ruger" had watched them circle and come back in for the landing on the gravel bar. They were just making the decision as to whether they should make a swim for the gravel bar or not when the Geese once again launched. Again, they made a circle flight pattern and landed in the original spot in the marsh where they were first spotted.

They are focused on the Geese, they just don't know if it is worth the swim to get them to fly again.


Having two muddy dogs, I decided it was best to give them a swim and let the Geese go back to what Geese do best. "Ruger" and "Dutch" enjoyed their first ball playing in Anchor River for this season. I was so proud of them both, neither barked at anytime and they stayed focused on those Geese the entire time they were airborne. I am still anxious to find a pond of ducks or geese that I can turn "Dutch" loose to see his ability at "tolling".

Additional shots on this outing are posted on http://photosrh.bologspot.com

This entry was posted on May 1, 2010 at Saturday, May 01, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Seems like Rugar is your photo dog...he knows how to steer the subjects up for you...what a three some!...:)

5/1/10, 10:51 PM

He did a great job today, I was so proud of him. Did not get excited like he does with the eagles, he was very slow and deliberate and even partially crouching at times. He did good and it was the decision of the geese, but because of his position, they flew right over my left side and at camera lens height. He did good.

5/1/10, 11:52 PM

He LIKES birds...GREAT shots!

5/2/10, 4:16 PM

sounds like a good time watching their instincts take over.

5/3/10, 8:15 PM

Post a Comment