Change You Can Believe In  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Now, this is "Change" that you can actually see with your own eyes. The two photos were taken the same day, January 19, 2011. That date should be familiar to you as it was the day that President Hu made his visit to the residence of President Obama. In the morning, a light graying of the hair. Later in the day when photographed with President Hu, he had washed that gray right out of his hair.

As with all of our Presidents, the daily stress of this office has a tendency to age them rapidly. This process goes with the job. However, hiding the signs of this stress does not really eliminate the factors of the stress. President Clinton discovered that smoking a good cigar would reduce his stress level.

The President is forty nine years of age, typically this is the point in a man's life that you can expect some changes. There are those that describe this process as a mid life crisis for men. First sign of this process is the desire to become healthier. The purchase of a "juicer" and making up all kinds of concoctions of a variety of fruit and vegetables is a sure sign that a man is looking for the fountain of youth. Then come the motorcycles, vintage cars, new clothes, new hair style, and yes, coloring of the hair in order to return to the age of their youth.

I am just a few years older than the President. Although, I have not had the stressful life of the President, I too am showing a little gray around the temples. Several years ago, I went to a costume party. For this particular party, you had to come dressed as you would in your younger years. I donned my "old" Navy uniform that I was issued when I joined the Navy thirty years earlier. Looking at myself in the mirror, the gray that was showing did not go well with the uniform. I got myself some of that instant youth looking goop and washed it through my hair. Drying it and combing it as it was in the 1960's, I was amazed that my hair looked worse than before I tried to restore my youth. You can hide the color of hair, but those little wrinkles in your face will not disappear.

The "graying process" has never bothered me, I consider it the "learned look" as well as being distinguished. The thing you must keep in mind is that you may wash the gray out of your hair, but at the same time, you also have to color your beard, mustache, arms, legs, chest, and any other area that hair happens to grow. The best thing to do is let it go and consider yourself lucky that you have achieved that position in your life.

This entry was posted on January 24, 2011 at Monday, January 24, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

I am not a personal grooming advisor, but I think he looks more presidential when he just lets his hair go gray. He keeps it so short he must have to do that dye job at least once a month just to keep it short.

But to each his own.

1/24/11, 6:44 AM

I have never dyed my hair and likely won't when I have a hot babe telling me it makes me look really sexy

1/29/11, 5:57 PM

Hi...

1/29/11, 9:49 PM

I can comment here?

1/29/11, 9:49 PM

but not on the other sites?

1/29/11, 9:49 PM

Post a Comment