Winter Break Up  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Within a few days, we will once experience the onslaught of winter, but until then it is pretty nice to sit on the deck and enjoy a cup of coffee. The Anchor River is once again flowing a full head of water with an expected increase over the next 24 hours. However, it is not nearly the magnitude that we have experienced in the past.

According to the Hydrological Prediction Service in Anchorage the height of the "action stage" for Anchor River is set at 13.5 feet. Flood stage, which we are currently nearing is set at 15.5 feet. The "Moderate Flood Stage" is established at 17 feet with the "Major Flood Stage" set at the 18 foot level.

The "Major Flood Stage" on the Anchor River has been reached on only two occasions, both of which I had the privilege of witnessing. On January 20, 1961 the Anchor River peaked out at a major flood level of 18.5 feet. On, October 24, 2002 was the date that the largest flood ever occurred on the Anchor River with the flood level set at 19.15 feet.

I spent a little time looking at the river this past day. Witnessed some great "ice berg" action in the current of the river as I sat on my favorite log at the Picnic Hole. Memories also flooded my thoughts. The most vivid was the morning that I caught a 16.5 Silver Salmon in this particular hole this past August. Did I ever tell you about that fish? However, the fish was not as important as the other memories that filtered through my thoughts of that particular day. The memories of those that I fished with that date outweighed the fish that was caught. In the solitude of the river, I found peace.

This entry was posted on January 17, 2009 at Saturday, January 17, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Life - in it's short course - is beautiful, no? I've thought about that morning a few times, as well.
Nothing came to mind about any 15 lb spawned out Coho, though...

1/17/09, 9:04 AM

at least here (unlike other blogs) I didn't have to write my own post.

1/17/09, 9:05 AM

I remember that fish and that fishing trip. As well as many many summer in that hole.

Hey, I wonder if the "Hydrological Prediction Service" has data on my back yard? is it going to still rise?

1/17/09, 10:02 AM

No Heidi, your back yard will not rise, it will remain stationary with the exception of a few frost heaves unless we have a major earthquake. However, the water mass may well rise but do not worry about the ground.

1/17/09, 11:21 AM

Post a Comment