Rescued By The Bears and Ravens  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I once again had the opportunity to see the advantages of living in a small community. I saw the unity come together just a week ago when I was able to do a benefit auction for a fire victim. It was a tremendous success. Just a few days ago, I was asked by the "Friends of Kelly" if I would help them with a similar auction. I was so impressed, not only by the generosity of those donating to the auction but by those in attendance, however, the most impressive thing was how quickly it was organized and on such a short notice the effectiveness of their planning. They did a tremendous job. Although, the El Pescado Restaurant on the Homer Spit was not scheduled to open until May 15th for the season, "Jose" and Carmen donated the restaurant for the spaghetti feed and auction. This was no small feat, considering that the electricity had to be turned up and the building heated after sitting vacant all winter. From the time, that I was asked to do the auction, the organizers had five days to get everything in place.

Arriving at the El Pescador an hour before the auction was to commence, I was astonished to find that there was standing room only. They had even organized a band to play while serving dinner, I could not even venture to guess how much spaghetti was served that evening. "Jose" and Carmen opened up their bar, so there was also plenty of "libations" being served, which always helps the auctioneer. I was at a slight disadvantage, both of my "normal" lady clerks were not with me for this auction. Someone in the LA passed the flu bug to my primary "clerk" so she remained at home with the bug.

Mama Bear was part of the organizing crew so that was the first table that I searched out, finding the Bear family slurping a few spaghetti's with the Raven Clan. Mama Bear and Lady Raven agreed to work as "clerks" for me with just a slight bit of arm twisting. "Clerking" is a tough job, not only do they have to keep track of what I am doing but also take care of recording all of the bids. I always use a "Vanna White" to work with, someone that walks the floor displaying the item that is being auctioned off. This evening, I had the opportunity to use the two "Little Bears" and friend. Before the evening was over, I had an entire line of "Vanna's" and they were needed to cover the floor area of the El Pescador.

It was the first "in the round" auction that I have ever had to do or ever want to do! Because of the lay out of the building, there was no place to do the auction except in the main lobby area so we basically had people encircling us plus those hiding around the corners that we could not see when they were bidding so we had to post two look outs on each corner to give us their bids. Poor Clerks, they have to sit close to me so they can keep up with me, they were reduced to a small table that should have been seating one person. It was hectic and cramped. I spoke with "Jose" after the auction, based on his seating as well as those standing, he figures we had about four hundred people in attendance.

The planners had organized a "Chinese Auction" for baked goods and a variety of other donated items which numbered 50 - 60 items. In the "call out auction", we kept having to add items but most likely pushed the hundred mark in the number of things we auctioned off. I started at 7:00 p.m. and finished at about 10:30 p.m. without a break which is way to long even with a microphone. Won't go into details on the amount on money that the auction generated, however, it was the largest auction that I have ever held. I knew it was a great success, but it was only this afternoon when I got a conference call from the "girls" letting me know what the final tally was, I was amazed and they were ecstatic. The highest item in the sale went for $1,500, a spectacular piece of art work made out of knives, forks and spoons. There was also a pair of Bev Doolittle prints that sold for $1,000.

As soon as the auction was over, I looked for the nearest chair but the "clerks" then had to collect all the money so they spent another hour and half completing their part of the auction. They did a great job, for having never worked an auction, especially with me and under the conditions that we worked, they did a fabulous job. Today, I payed the price, a little slow getting around and the voice a little "froggy" but it was well worth the effort and it went to a good cause. The small town atmosphere continues to amaze me, even tho I have seen it in action in some many cases.

This entry was posted on April 2, 2007 at Monday, April 02, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

This is how Dad and Jim Manley ended up in the auction business.

4/2/07, 6:22 AM

My thoughts are with Kelly and Jeff...brings tears to my eyes to see the support ralleying to help them...Bless All involved....and very glad to see Homer still has a small sense of community.

4/2/07, 7:45 AM

There are small-town people wherever you go, but a few people in a smaller community make a world of difference.

4/3/07, 12:02 AM

I wish them the best, tell someone to email me account info...I would like to help out.

4/3/07, 9:31 PM

Post a Comment