Back Again  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Sorry, I know all of you have missed me, but I have been off line for the past couple of days. It all started just prior to the birthday of one of granddaughters who was whining, wanting all of her family to convince her dad that he needed to convert to DSL from his old dial up Internet. Being that both of us live in small communities the provider did not have enough pairs, pears, or whatever they are called to make the connection. Being that Homer is larger than Anchor Point, they took it up themselves to shut down a DSL number in Anchor Point and give it to the new customer in Homer. Bet, you can't guess who's number was randomly selected? I was blindsided by my own son and granddaughter. Took me two days to convince the provider that I needed DSL for my radio broadcast, so I got someones line, if you know anyone in this area that has lost their DSL, I know nothing!

Lot's of new things since I last blogged. If you recall, a couple of weeks ago I reminded everyone about the large meteor shower that will thrill us on August 12th and 13th, in all that I have read, if it is clear that night it is suppose to be spectacular. But wait, hold the presses, if you wait for just two more weeks following the meteor showers, you will see something that more than likely you have never seen coming from the heavens, unless you are several hundred years old! On a lesser degree on August 26th and to a full degree on August 27th if you look into the night sky, you will see what appears to be two full moons! What you are actually seeing is that on August 27th the Planet Mars will be the brightest star. According to what I have read, it will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. At this time, Mars will come within 34.65 million miles of earth. This is suppose to occur at 12:30 am (Don't know which time zone), if you miss it, you will never have the opportunity again. The next time it occurs will be in the year of 2287.

For you avid water sippers out there that do not mind spending $1.49 for a bottle of water, something that I have always suspected has been proven correct. Aquafina, a product of Pepsi-Cola, just admitted that their pure, sparkling drinking water is taken from the city water source in whatever community that they happen to be bottling in. I love their product so much, I take a shower and shave in it everyday! Wouldn't be funny if all their bottling plants were in Mexico!

Just had a friend visiting from Arizona. She was kind enough to bring us a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, a bottle of Captain Morgan Rum, and two bottles of wine in return for a favor we did for her some time back. Both bottles come from vineyards in Arizona under the label of the Kokopelli Winery. An American Indian name, I am sure, however not a dialect that I speak so I do not know what Kokopelli means. The ironic thing is that on the bottle it clearly states, "Wine of Arizona", however, it is produced and bottled in Demming, New Mexico. The current bottle that I am testing, as I write, is a very fine bottle of Wine-A-Rita with a vintage of what I am assuming is probably September 2006, which was a prime grape harvest. It is truly not a wine that you would want to serve your guests at a special dinner, unless it is St. Patrick's day and you are serving Corn Beef and Cabbage. The reason for this is that it is green and very sweet, however,if you have not guessed with a name like Wine-A-Rita it tastes like a Margarita with less alcohol content for those of us that do not indulge heavily into beverages. Put a little salt around the rim of your wine glass and it would be difficult to tell the difference. As a novelty wine, it is great. The good thing is that it is to sweet to the taste of the Golden Granny so I have been forced to drink the entire bottle now that it has been opened. I am now on my third glass, it is so smooooth.

Last but not least, if you ever called our home and got our answering machine, you no doubt know that we have a very long recorder for messages you might want to leave. I think my little brother is going to have a heart attack the next time he gets his cell phone bill. He called yesterday, as he was passing through Beaver, Utah. After giving us a verbal tour of community from the seat of his truck as he was speeding down the Interstate he said good bye. However, something in Beaver must have caught his attention, as for the next 15 minutes all we could hear on the recorder was this big diesel engine hammering away and a faint country western song in the background. I have no idea how long it took for him to discover that he had left his phone on, but my recorder was not about to hang up until he broke the connection. After fifteen minutes had lapsed, I quit listening and erased the message.

My wine glass needs a little more salt!

This entry was posted on July 30, 2007 at Monday, July 30, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

now that sounds like a wine I might like...missed you recently...glad your back...nice of you to provide your little brother with company on his drive...hope all is well ...we miss you.

7/30/07, 10:57 PM

Tag!

7/30/07, 11:06 PM

Wine-a-rita...and You didn't share?

7/30/07, 11:14 PM

They have wonderful grape harvests in Deming NM; and Juan and Pedro are glad you enjoy their product so much. I didn't hear Aquafina admit that however I heard that the Coke variant did.

I am pulling one of our recruiting trailers. On the back in huge words-"A Great Opportunity up ahead" I feel so conceited. The words on the sides of the trailer say that "the key to success is in the ignition" pointing to my tractor by the way. Of course on the side of my tractor is 17 years and 5 million miles. I know how to impress people.

8/1/07, 4:37 PM

So how would you like to go coast to coast with me via cell phone connection big brother.

8/1/07, 4:45 PM

Post a Comment