Songs Of the Past  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Recently, while searching the web for an old song, "Sneaky Snake" by Tom T. Hall, I made a journey into the past. I spent the better part of two hours listening to "old songs" that I had not heard in years nor thought of the artist that had recorded them. It was a great trip into the past, not only the music but era that they were recorded.

The one artist that brought forth so many memories was Red Sovine. His music consisted of narrative stories, perhaps one of the best in the industry. Red Sevine was born on July 7, 1917 and passed away on April 4, 1980. In his early years he co-starred with Hank Williams (Senior), Webb Pierce, and George Jones. While with the Grand Ole Opry, he talked a young black, minor league baseball player into moving to Nashville and pursue a career in Country Western Music, by the name of Charlie Pride. He had several number one hits, his most popular were most likely; "Phantom 309", "Giddy Up and Go", and "Teddy Bear". I have linked three of my favorites.

With Mothers Day just one week from today, perhaps this is a song that you may want to listen to, if at times you become "just to busy to visit your mama".
DEDICATED TO MY MOTHER,
LENA MAE RILEY HARRINGTON





As a father, I was fortunate to have two sons and two daughters.
I dedicate this next song with love to my two daughters.






This particular song brought back so many fond memories of my youth, when I did collect my nickels and dime, walking to town to attend the Saturday Matinee at the local Fox Theatre. Those days were different, when a little boy age seven to eleven could safely walk two miles to town without fear. Spending a dime to get into the movie and the rest of the change for a sack of penny candy. Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Red Ryder, Gene Autrey, but there was one other western movie star that I have always admired, not only as a actor but as an American.



This entry was posted on May 3, 2008 at Saturday, May 03, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Good trip into music past.

5/4/08, 7:39 AM

You made me tear up, Red has some great songs. I think I will go listen to more!

5/4/08, 9:13 AM

Shana, just called you, surely could here Eric repeatedly saying, hello several times before he rudely hung up on me. DD called me ealry this morning and needs to get some information from you, I gave her your number but she said she got a recording from some other name, I tried and got Eric. Knowing DD, she dialed the number wrong but you may want to call her. She is fine, needs a recipe for some tea.

5/4/08, 9:55 AM

I have posted a couple of speeches on my other two sites that are applicable today. Suggest you visit Amercian Profiles first then Political Prattle.

5/4/08, 9:58 AM

I love you too daddy....

5/5/08, 3:19 PM

Gawd, I have my family listening to trucker music.....

5/8/08, 2:45 PM

Post a Comment