Silver Strike  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I enjoyed the opportunity to appease the pallet with the first Silver Salmon of the season, smoked with a cold smoke of locally cut alder. Although, the Silver Salmon were Resurrection Bay enhanced Coho Salmon and not the quality of the wild Anchor River Silver Salmon. The light snack of smoked salmon washed down with a good quality beer not only satisfied my appetite but also whetted my appetite to go out and catch my own Silver Salmon.
Accompanied by my Grandson, Hunter Stanley, we fished the Dudas Hole where we hooked, but unfortunately lost our first Silver Salmon of the year. Later, we ventured down river into an area that I prefer not to fish, however, we struck Silver Salmon and once again the smoke house will be smoking a fresh batch of wild Anchor River Silver Salmon.

I would like to thank my benefactor for his generous donation of Resurrection Bay enhanced Coho Salmon, however, now that I have wild stock to enjoy I am forwarding the remaining portion of your fish and the remaining bottle of beer back to you. In beer, I prefer Miller Chill with my smoked salmon. A touch of lime flavor in the beer goes very well with the alder smoked flavor of the fish. You can expect your shipment on Wednesday. Bon appetite.

This entry was posted on August 5, 2008 at Tuesday, August 05, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Good to hear the Coho are coming in. That should help eliminate any over-sleeping as the river beckons early morning company. I can always sleep in the winter - right?
Thanks for the effort in smoking, Stan - and for saving me a beer without fruit in it.

8/6/08, 6:06 AM

I was wondering if you were every going to share some of that smoke fish? How many pound have you smoked anyway? I know in King Salmon we gave you 100 pounds.

8/6/08, 7:04 AM

"Erotic Screamer", you are a fisher person, two king salmon weighing approximnately 50 pounds each equals one hundred pounds. However, you then clean it, de-head and de-fin the fish. You then fillet the fish and discard the bones. You now have approximately 65.6 pounds of usable meat. You then brime the the meat in preparation for smoking. In this process you loose 10% of the bulk weight, so you are down to 55.6 pounds of smokable fish. During the process of smoking, the loss of fat and shrinage from cooking, the final product that you remove from the smoke house weighs 36.14 pounds. Dividing it up equally with everyone on the boat, that would give each person 7.22 pounds of smoked salmon, in your case sense two of you were on board, the Wolf Den should have got 14.44 pounds of product, however, no one got any because a bear broke into my smoke house and ate it all.

8/6/08, 7:24 PM

Nothing but Prattle!

8/7/08, 6:56 AM

Nothing but Prattle!

8/7/08, 6:56 AM

Prattle? Yes, but, nice picture with a Killians and pilsner glass to compliment the DELICIOUS salmon. The only thing missing when it got here was the pilsner - broke mine last year.

8/7/08, 5:20 PM

Stan you may be fibbing about the bear breaking in and eating all your fish but you are telling the truth about the loss of weight in the smoking process. Did you actually find the equation or did you estimate. I used to have it memorized......
As far as your smoking abilities the salmon sent way south has already been enjoyed as a road trip snack!
Thank you!

8/9/08, 7:59 AM

He IS a good smoker, no?! The "new" experiment I tried turned out very well. My fish from last weekend were of excellent quality, as well.

8/10/08, 11:15 PM

Post a Comment