Home Sweet Home  

Posted by Stan Harrington

This afternoon at 1:30 p.m., we completed our road trip of six weeks. It was a great trip, so many sights that I have captured to memory but at the same time, I managed to capture 1,527 memorable images with my camera. Some images like the early morning sun gracing the tips of the Rocky Mountains, the sound of a half dozen bull Elk bugling at the same time, or a sunset over the prairie, or a band of four Rocky Mountain Big Horn rams standing side by side drinking from a clear mountain stream cannot be captured on a camera. These memorable moments are reserved as once in a lifetime opportunities. I would be remiss if I did not include the birth of our 15th grandchild (including our two great granddaughters) as being the most memorable part of our trip, Shane Rolland Harrington.

Our trip this year took us 11,524.9 miles to complete. We visited the western provinces of Canada, Yukon Territory, British Columbia, and Alberta. In our travels, we visited Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota. We also had the opportunity to visit seven National Parks in Canada and the lower forty eight. We also visited a countless number of wildlife refuges and wildlife wilderness areas.

We did our part in contributions to the local economy along our way as well as supporting the oil industry by using 737.13 gallons of gasoline. In our travels, our most expensive gas was in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory at $4.549 per gallon (converted) with the least expensive gas found in the town of my birth, Montrose, Colorado at $2.389 a gallon. However, we did get by with one oil change and I need to get a new bulb for my left turn signal. Really do not need it, I have been a conservative all my life and have a tendency to always go right. I escaped with only only speeding ticket!

Surprisingly, leaving and returning to Alaska the largest city that we drove through was Anchorage, Alaska! Even the capital of Nebraska, the city of Lincoln is smaller than Anchorage. During our entire trip, we drove less than 200 miles on the Interstate Highway system even then it was because we had no choice as there were no side roads that would have bypassed them.

I have so many favorite places, however the Black Hills of South Dakota would rank very high on my list as favorites. The pine forests, rock formations, history, and wildlife that is found throughout this area is fantastic. Included would be Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, and the Little Big Horn. So much to see and do, I intend to return there again and spend several days just exploring this area. Perhaps, I will see my rams once again.

Although, my principal interest in photography is taking pictures of wildlife.While driving the Alcan Highway, and noticing that the history of the highway is disappearing rapidly. The old Lodges that use to dot the highway and played a vital role in years past when you drove the highway. Today, so many of them have been closed, deserted and slowly deteriorating due to age and climate. I decided to start taking photos of them, so many of them I remember as a child when we would drive the highway in the 50's. Since then, I decided to start a second photo journal and photograph other old buildings. There has to be so much history behind each of them, the families that lived in the old homes or the old barns that were the pride of some rancher or farmer. Each one, although old and deteriorating, still has a quality of uniqueness and beauty.
During our trip, I have captured over one hundred shots of old buildings. I have also found they are easier to photograph than animals, they don't move.
"Home On The Prairie" ~ Kansas ~ Highway 99

Barn and Silo ~ Dorchester, Nebraska
(Note the round Silo is constructed of brick)
"First House"
First House after you enter Alaska from Canada

This entry was posted on November 14, 2009 at Saturday, November 14, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

YOU GUYS MADE IT HOME!
Stan you should really do a calender of your pictures...just a Christmas hint if you haven't already thought of it!
Would really like to see more and was hoping to see that one picture of the tree and the house...
Terry, Heather and Hunter say hi and they brought home good report cards!

11/14/09, 1:32 AM

A calendar IS a good idea! Maybe advertisers want to buy your ink?...

11/14/09, 7:54 AM

I love that silo! Great shot!

11/14/09, 9:18 AM

Post a Comment