Tok Junction, Alaska  

Posted by Stan Harrington

We fueled up and departed Whitehorse, Yukon Territory under the cover of darkness but expecting good light within the following forty five minutes. From Whitehorse about twenty minutes, we saw a familiar sign warning us about wildlife on the highway. This particular sign was for elk. I have heard of the large Elk herds in the Whitehorse area, however, my many trips over the highway, I had never seen a single Elk in this area. This was a subject of discussion for a few minutes between my wife and I. Within the next three miles, we came across a small herd on both sides of the highway. Unfortunately, the lighting was not good, it was still pre-dawn but I did manage to get enough proof that Elk do exist in the Whitehorse area.

This particular herd consisted of cows and calves with a few small, spike horned bulls.


But then, I noticed a tree branch that was not quite right with the scheme of the landscape. I call this series of three shots:
"Eyes In The Fog"




Could only get a quick count as he moved between the trees and out of sight, but was at least a very respectable five pointer, perhaps a "Royal"

Hopefully the storm that is forecast for tonight will pass through Glennallen as projected. We will be on the road from Tok inbound for Las Anchorage after good light ~ earlier projected time of arrival may need to be revised slightly due to storm.

This entry was posted on November 11, 2009 at Wednesday, November 11, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

nice rack! See you tonight!

11/12/09, 7:19 AM

Glad to hear you guys made it to Anchorage and I hear you are planning on heading back later today! I bet you guys are ready to be home! Will post some pictures today if I can get caught up!

11/13/09, 8:50 AM

Post a Comment