"Going To Hell In A Hand Basket"  

Posted by Stan Harrington



As a youngster, I vividly recall my parents when talking with friends would discuss the younger generation. Their discussions would conclude with the fact that "everything was going to hell" because of the next generation. They were members of the "great generation" and have my sincere admiration, appreciation, and gratitude. This was the generation that survived the "Great Depression", "Dirty Thirties", and World War II all in a span of 10 - 15 years. They held America together, a beacon of hope for many that legally migrated to our beloved country.

As a "kid", when I walked down the street and when memorial possession passed by, all cars would stop and yielded the right of way. Those walking, would stop, remove their hats if they were wearing one and face the hearse as it passed by. In the western Colorado community that I was raised as a young man, there were several parades a year. The parade was always led by mounted horsemen carrying our national emblem of freedom. In respect , as our national ensign passed by everyone removed their hats and placed their hat or hand over their heart. You never saw a sporting event that the National Anthem was not played, each time everyone removed their hats and again saluted the flag. This was the generation that had family and friends die for that flag. Each morning, as school started, we would rise from our seats, place our little hands over our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I recall, we had just got it memorized and someone came up with the idea that "God" should be included in the pledge. We learned the new version and no one complained, no mass demonstrations, no kids sitting in their seats declaring their rights were being violated, and no lawyers filing court cases trying to ban the word "God".

My parents were almost correct. Now that I have joined the "gray haired" generation, I can look back and think to myself that my generation did not do a bad job in keeping America as we found it. However, it was on "our watch" that the erosion commenced and we did not stop it. In my wisdom, I predicted it in 1973 and my theory has proven correct. However, that is a different and lengthy theory.

I recently saw a news article on television pertaining to the laborers in Mexico protesting a United States company. This particular company made bowling balls and accessories that support the the art of bowling. It is one of the major companies in the United States that produces this type of equipment. Because of labor contracts, high costs of labor, and taxes in the United States they moved their plants to Mexico. The communities in the United States that were supported by this manufacturing giant were devastated in the loss of jobs.

Building new manufacturing plants in Mexico, they put thousands of Mexico residents to work. This greatly assisted the citizens and government of Mexico. Perhaps, it even assisted the United States as it provided employment in Mexico and possibly reduced the number of "illegals" crossing our borders. No one in the United States benefited from the move, except possibly "Corporate America". Prices due to cheap labor in Mexico did not reduce the retail prices in America. Several years have since passed since that move to Mexico. Today, the employed residents of Mexico are protesting because this same company is now going to close their plants and move to China to take advantage of cheap labor.

Today, the country of China, which has not been a friend of the United States since the revolution, holds the mortgage of America in their hands. With our national debt escalating into the trillions of dollars, the majority of this money was borrowed from China. Our current administration does not appear to be concerned about the national debt, as long as the well does not go dry. Concern yourself with this fact, what will happen when China decides to recall and collect their debt service. What will be the concern when the Chinese Navy appears on our horizon with a naval fleet that surpasses our fleet, including aircraft carriers?

What can we do as a single American? It is apparent that a majority of our elected representatives have taken their eye off the ball. If you recall, some years ago a large shipment of dog food component was exported to the United States from China. A great number of dogs died from this contamination. Americans went wild and started boycotting dog food with this particular component. A couple of years later, toys started showing up in America that were made in China, again deadly because of the lead base paint. Rightfully so, Americans screamed bloody murder. The trend continues today, how safe are the products imported from China?

Now, if you have made it this far you are wondering to yourself, "what in hell does smoked oysters have to do with this article". Rightfully so that you ask that question. I love smoked oysters with a little cream cheese on crackers. I also love oyster stew, an old secret family recipe. Shopping locally, each time I go into one particular store in Homer I looked at the smoked oysters. They have several brands to choose form. Since the dog food scare, I have been checking labels. Each of the brands this particular store stocks, the smoked oysters are made in China! Now, I ask myself, if they cannot properly take care of "dog food", what chance do I have by eating oysters that they smoked and canned in China? I have not purchased any food products from China in several years.

On a recent trip to Anchorage I took advantage of my retirement and shopped at the commissary on Elmendorf A.F.B. I was a in hurry as daylight was approaching so I and my little cart was making a speed run up and down the isle. As I passed the spam, sardines, and tuna fish I spotted the oysters, smoked and canned oysters for stew. Recognizing the brand name, I threw a few into my cart and headed for the dog food department.

Last evening, while watching an old western movie I decided it was time for a 1:00 am snack. Smoked oysters and cream cheese sounded very good. As I removed the "Chicken of the Sea" wrapper off the can, mouth watering, I could not help but notice the labeling in small print. "Distributed By: Chicken Of The Sea International, San Diego, CA 92121 U.S.A." A good American Company. Then the second line appeared in my vision, "Product of China". There went my appetite for "smoked oysters", again! I could not resist checking the canned oysters for my stew as they were also carrying the label of this American Company. Thank god, they were not a "Product of China"! They are a product of "Korea", it did not say whether it was South or North Korea. Don't they make oysters in America anymore?

What can you do as an "American", only a small thing but could be effective. Start trying to boycott any products "Made In China" and at the same time, if it is an American company send them an email telling them that you are boycotting their product until it is made in the U.S. of A. I have and I will continue. www.chickenofthesea.com

My "smoked oysters" remain on the shelf, as I placed them back into my "goodie cabinet", I could not help but notice two cans of sardines packed in oil of which I had received as a Christmas gift. Yes, people do give sardines as Christmas gifts! They are not "Made In China", they are a product of Morocco! Did all of our sardines and herring move out of our coastal waters after eating all of the oysters?

"God Bless America" ~ We could use a little help.

Visit My New Site: http://photosrh.blogspot.com/

This entry was posted on January 8, 2010 at Friday, January 08, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

smoked oysters have got to be my favorite oily snack from a can - aside from SPAM, of course.
Maybe you could start a smoked/canning business and deal with our local, top-class oysters and take the market.

1/9/10, 1:02 PM

nice photo site, by the way.

1/9/10, 1:02 PM

LOVE oysters and cream cheese it is one of my guilty pleasures!

1/10/10, 3:07 AM

Post a Comment