Why Celebrate Christmas  

Posted by Stan Harrington

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christmas morning has arrived in Alaska, soon Santa will be making his northward approach and his home. NORAD has done a great job this year tracking his voyage as he spreads his good cheer.

Myself, at 12:35 a.m. this Christmas morning, I have just finished wrapping up the last of my Christmas presents to my lovely wife. We have shared this holiday for the past forty-four great years. Through the years, our traditions have remained much the same as when we were "kids". Including my procrastination when it comes to wrapping Christmas presents. For the benefit of my children that know their mother and I have only been married 43 years. They are wondering how we could be celebrating our 44th Christmas. We shared the Christmas of 1965 together and were married in February 1966. We shared a "family Christmas" together, her parents and my family in our little log home in Alaska. It was the first "dinner" that our parents socialized with one another.

Although, I occasionally procrastinate concerning chores I do not enjoy, my wife is also not without fault. It has always been a laughing joke around our home, she has never seen a "box" that she did not like. Our basement looks like a warehouse for Mayflower Moving and Storage. We have little boxes, dress boxes, jewelry boxes, big boxes, and boxes that hold boxes. She also has a habit of collecting Christmas bows, after forty four years, we have bows! Each year, we add a few to the collection and the tradition continues, we have boxes and bows.

This time of the year, there are those that seek an answer to why we celebrate Christmas. Unfortunately, to some it is just another day. In most cases our Christmas values and traditions are instilled into us as children. We discover the meaning of Christmas and expand from that. The question of the celebration of Christmas is complex and could be debated through eternity to find the answer. Does it need to be as complex as that?

It is good that my wife collects "bows", as I was going through the mass of ribbon and bows in our "bow box" to find the perfect bow, I came across an "old" Christmas letter that had been sent to us. As like the "bows", it had been stowed away in the box. As I read it once again after several years, the meaning of Christmas appeared before my eyes from the eyes of a ten year old. She made it so simple, so pure. It was her contribution to her family Christmas letter.

See hear, see hear Christmas is near
and look at all the presents,
I want to thank God for the things
he gave us!

He gave us a family
With great memories to remember,
he gave us great food which will
be laid upon us when Christmas is here.

He gave us our pets
which we take care of.
That's what God gave us!

I hope you all have a
good Christmas!!!!!

Devyn McLay, 2005, (Age 10)

Merry Christmas Devyn, I thank God that you are a part of our lives, this day and every day.



This entry was posted on December 25, 2009 at Friday, December 25, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

I love you daddy, merry Christmas...and look I am up before five and the kids are all nestled all snug in my bed!

12/25/09, 4:51 AM

Merry Christmas... the traditions are being carried on. As we were up after midnight wrapping and my Box of Boxes is growing.

I would like to know the author of those words.

12/25/09, 10:19 AM

That is a great thought to carry. I mean the poem, but the boxes are good, too, Terry.
I teased my Grandmother for "fiddling" with the aluminum foil, while chatting, after Christmas dinner. I talked her into tossing it and we all laughed....later we needed foil and had NONE! ...she laughed....
Now, I find myself fiddling with foil.
Thanks for YOUR quirks I have adopted and
Merry Christmas

12/25/09, 10:29 AM

I will post the name in my comment section, if I have her consent, oh, she will forgive me in time if I invade her privacy and publish her works. I will edit the page and the name will appear.

12/25/09, 12:04 PM

I realized this year that I have the perfect box collection for next year and I was really proud of it!!
I also realized that I had no bows in the house this year! Next year there will be bows! Merry Christmas guys!

12/26/09, 10:22 AM

Boxes, bows, boxes, bows, when will it all stop

12/27/09, 3:02 PM

Had a nice Christmas in Butte with Shirley and Mark. Passing on regards from them. Enroute from out of MT to OR

12/27/09, 3:03 PM

Post a Comment