The End Of The Regular Season  

Posted by Stan Harrington

With temperatures dipping below the zero mark, it was a great day to watch the conclusion of the 2008 regular season of the National Football League. Hard to believe that sixteen weeks have lapsed into the history book. Now,the teams have been set for the playoff which will commence this next weekend.

What is more difficult for me to believe is my Denver Broncos! I have been a Denver Bronco fan since the early 1970's. I have been disappointed in their performance in the past but this year, I am looking for a brown paper bag to cover my head until next fall.

For the past fifteen weeks, they have been ranked first in the AFC West based on their wins. With four games remaining in the regular season they are ahead of their biggest rival (San Diego Chargers) by three games. There is no way they cannot win their Conference at this point. Except when you loose three of those games in a row against teams that never made the playoff list. The final game of the regular season came down to Denver and San Diego. The winner will be the AFC West Champions and go on to compete in the playoffs. The looser simply goes home for the rest of the season. I would have liked to think it was a close game, down to the wire but that was not the case in an 52 -21 victory for San Diego.

So my Denver Broncos return to the Mile High City, humbled, embarrassed, and rightfully so. Although, disappointed, I have to remember it is just a game and come next fall I will forget and forgive. I will once again cheer on Broncos, especially if they show up next year with some new defensive players and perhaps a new defensive coordinator. Although it is at a weakened state at this time, "Go Broncos", but there is always next year!


This entry was posted on December 28, 2008 at Sunday, December 28, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I feel your pain Stan, although a Patriots fan myself, having moved here from New England. We are sitting out the playoffs as well for the first time in six years. While the Pats have a better record than many at 11-5, we have failed to make the playoffs as well. Kudos have to be given to Matt Cassel who came into his own this season after not starting since high school and to the Pats coaching staff pulling off a winning record with so many injured. Go Patriots! and Go Broncos!

12/29/08, 9:45 PM

What are your thoughts about the firing of Shanahan?

12/30/08, 9:03 PM

Took me by total surprise, no doubt that they needed some work in the defensive department, but coach Shanahan has done a great job during his tenure as head coach. Hate to see him leave the team. I would suspect he will re-surface, perhaps in Dallas!

1/2/09, 10:01 AM

Post a Comment