She Never Lies  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I am the very proud owner of a Garmin Street Pilot C330, although our love affair almost came to an abrupt halt last night. She came very close to being labeled as trash! However, after a cooling down period, I remembered that she took me on a 12,000 mile trip without a single argument, but better yet without getting me lost in some major cities.

Pending another long road trip, I thought I would treat her to a set of "new" and "updated" maps to insure that we were both working on the same highway. It sounded easy enough to go to the home page of Garmin and for a few dollars, download a set of new maps into "Suzie".

If you are a proud owner of a Garmin GPS, I would now suggest that you go buy a new one if you want to update your maps. Don't get me wrong, I like the product and it has worked well for me. However, their web site is terrible. After several attempts to download the required software in order that I could download maps to my computer and then to "Susie", I finally got to choose the maps that I desired. Really had no use for any other than North America!

After paying my "fee", I was ready to download. Hesitantly, I hit the "download" key. The download page appeared. Only one choice to make, "Continue"! No advance notice, no warning of what you were getting into until the download commenced. I thought to myself that it would take perhaps an hour to give "Susie" a new make over.

This is the point in the evening that "Susie's" life came close to expiring. The download screen informs me now that I have spent my money that the map file is 2.02 GB. I am on DSL so that is no big deal until I noticed the amount of time that was projected to download. The estimated download time was 18 hrs 56 min 45 seconds at a warp transfer rate of 38kb/second.

It was approximately 24 hours ago that the ordeal commenced. The download was finally completed at 7:36 pm this evening. Then it took another hour to feed it to "Susie" from the computer. The good news is that "Susie" is sitting here next to me, her "makeover" was successful and she just took me on a trip from my home to somewhere in New York City.

She is now ready to travel and assist me through some very beautiful country. She had better not screw up or I am going to ditch her for another. "Susie" and I will keep you posted in our travels. Perhaps, just perhaps "Susie" and my wife will get along better on this trip and keep me from having to choose sides as to you is right on that highway change that is coming up in .5 miles.

This entry was posted on September 22, 2009 at Tuesday, September 22, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Took "Little Susie" for a test drive today, she did a great job took me right into Soldotna without one single incident of ending up in the pucker brush. In the past she spent half the time exploring the natural fauna and flora on the Kenai Peninsula. Had the "ole F-150" serviced, a good thing, but several seal leaks were revealed, which were made aware to me when I had my tires changed out yesterday by an astute tire mechanic. Without knowing it, today was the final day of my warranty. Option 1: Ignore the problem, perhaps it would not breakdown half way through the trip. Option 2: Get the work done under the warranty and save myself $1,500. Option 3: Buy a new truck. Option 2 was chosen, but work cannot get scheduled until Monday. Will possibly get done as late as Tuesday since the transmission needs to be pulled. So before we get started, we now have a minimum of a five day delay. But that is alright, we won't have so much to get done in the next 24 hours. However, Option 4 remains: Possibly a one way trip for the "ole F-150.

9/23/09, 4:51 PM

Maybe you will stumble onto a "buy one, get one free" deal and the wife can drive her new rig home, too!

9/24/09, 5:30 AM

Did the download keep you from driving through muskegs on the Kenai Penin.

10/3/09, 10:08 PM

Post a Comment