Winter Night Prattlin  

Posted by Stan Harrington


E=mc2 Albert Had It Right

Albert Einstein (1879 ~ 1955) is best known for his "Theory of Relativity" that he published in 1905. However, with my very limited amount of knowledge about any subject, I maintain that his greatest contribution was proving that a "pencil" is smarter than a computer. To wit: Today, it was acknowledged that Einstein's celebrated formula E=mc2 has been corroborated after 103 years.

A computational effort by French, German, and Hungarian physicists, led by Laurent Lellouch of France's Centre for Theoretical Physics, using some of the world's mightiest supercomputers, have proved Einstein's formula as being correct. It has something to do with protons, neutrons, quarks, and gluons of which no one should know anything about. However, it also proved a second theory, Albert Einstein scribbled out a simple formula with pencil on piece of paper long before the theory of supercomputers was conceived, proving that the human mind is smarter than a computer. Remind yourself of this theory the next time your computer does not compute correctly.

Economics

If you have not noticed, as of late our economics have turned downward slightly. To me, slightly is in the eye of the beholder. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I consider our current economical decline as a slight downward market correctional adjustment period. Although, I know that there is some concern pertaining to our current economic trend, it is also a great time to make some wise investments. Now is the time to hold or even purchase and hold some of the good buys that exist in the market. For instance, buy Copper and hold. I have included the current data and history of the Copper Market both short term (30 Days) to long time history (10 years). The reason that I recommend Copper versus Gold, it is a lot cheaper as Gold closed out today at $10.00 above the spot price of the previous day. Unlike Gold, you do not have to play the stock market. Each time you visit your favorite Home Depot, purchased several tubes of copper pipe and stash them under your bed. When the price of Copper starts coming back up, simply take your new Copper Tubes to the re-cycling center. Exchange them for cash. The beauty of this is that there is no money trail, therefore you do not have to pay taxes on your investment and you can sell at anytime you desire without penalty.

Although, our current gas pump prices exceed the national average by a couple of dollars, there is still money to be made in petro. Currently there is an investigation pertaining to why the pump price for gasoline is so high in Alaska. The spot price for unleaded gasoline on the market today was $1.01 per gallon which is a drop of .10 per gallon from the previous day. The same holds true for home heating oil, the spot price was $1.69 per gallon on Thursday, a decrease of .09 cents from the previous day. I am going to invest in home heating oil since it is not so volatile. Currently, I have 500 gallons in stock and going to install three more 500 gallon tanks, when the retail price drops to 21.5% above the daily spot price, I am going to buy and hold. When the price comes back up to the current price of almost $4.00 per gallon, I will sell it to my neighbors. Again, no money trail, no taxes.

I am also going to buy a half dozen piglets as playmates for my grandchildren when they visit the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area. There is good money in Pigs! The spot price today for Pork Bellies was $87.60 per pound an increase of $3.10 to the previous day.

So even with a slight downward trend in the stock market, there is still some great ways to make money by applying a little ingenuity and imagination.

This entry was posted on November 20, 2008 at Thursday, November 20, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

Oh good news for once...those are some wise investments ideas. Maybe now is the time to play the stock market with some petty cash??? Buy low and HOLD ON FOR THE RIDE!

11/20/08, 10:50 PM

Thanks for your recent comment on my blog. You criticism is well taken. Although I prefer not to be referred to by my official title...well at least some of them.

11/21/08, 12:10 AM

Ok...another question for you since you know about investments and stuff. Have you heard of Dave Ramsey (Total Money Makeover, Financial Peace University)? If so, what is your opinion of his financial advice? He is on Fox Business (not on our cable) and on talk radio here in the mornings.

Love the pictures around Anchor Point on the other blog. We moved to Homer because Mom taught school in Anchor Point while we lived in town. After my sister graduated Mom moved up to Soldotna to be near to the rest of our family. Your pictures make me miss it up there. Though I am not sure I could do the winters again, I sure do miss summers and fall in Alaska.

11/21/08, 12:22 AM

I KNOW! I KNOW! what is...verbose..?

11/21/08, 7:21 PM

Verbose = long-winded

11/21/08, 9:18 PM

I do not know the name of Dave Ramsey, although I do not have Fox Business on my satellite, although I watch the market, more so lately, my knowledge is is limited to very basics. But Neil Cavuto on Fox News is slowly teaching me. Verbose, that is good word! I like verbose! To be an effective Hyperbole Prattler, you have to extend the written or even verbal communication beyond what most consider normal. I know one Past President and one President Elect that got elected that way, now they are going to team up! Can you imagine that, what a coincidence.

11/21/08, 11:21 PM

Back by popular demand, well O.k., maybe not but I have posted a once again on my site Political Prattle.

11/22/08, 12:38 AM

I forgot, the address to my other blog site is politicalprattle.blogspot.com

11/22/08, 12:44 AM

regarding my previous comment:

it was, actually, answer in the form of jeopardy.
Thank you for clarifying this Fish Taxi. Although I tease, this post WAS read completely and well worth the read.
Don't ever change, Stan.

11/22/08, 9:34 AM

Hate economics...so Britt took the class in school this semester...and it appears she understands and also hates economics...but she is pulling an A so maybe she can fix the world economy problems...with Taylor as her Speaker of the House...bet they can achieve an answer...we may not like it though...hehe

11/22/08, 10:23 AM

Post a Comment