The Holiday Season Is Over  

Posted by Stan Harrington

With the conclusion of the celebration of Thanksgiving, our holiday season is now concluded. From this day forward we are celebrating Christmas. I do not want to hear anyone wish me a happy holiday nor do I want to do businesses with any anyone that advertises Happy Holidays. I do not want to attend any school program where Christmas carols are prohibited or they call it a "Winter Festival". A very simple, Merry Christmas will do. The month of December is devoted to the celebration of Christmas.

The word "Xmas" has been used for many years, although in my thoughts the word Christmas should not be shortened to fit a limited printing area. I took exception to the above picture, it is a 1920 vintage picture, the message meant more to me than the wording in this particular case. The celebration of birth of Christ and the celebration of the arrival of Santa delivers the same message, hope for all mankind.

In our celebration of Christmas, we should never forget the reason that we celebrate, the birth of the Christ child. At the same time, we should never forget Santa. He has played a role in the celebration of Christmas for hundreds of years. Each year he spreads good will and joy, giving millions of children continued hope that all is well in the world, that it has not changed from the past. When it comes to children, I include myself in that category, I am a sixty two year old child and you are not going to convince me that Santa does not exist. On Christmas Eve, I will be watching the the darkness of the night, in hopes of catching a glimpse of Santa soaring overhead, then I will know all is well.

This entry was posted on November 30, 2008 at Sunday, November 30, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

This isn't the first place this idea has been presented this year, and I still have to agree with the attitude.

12/1/08, 5:51 PM

Merry Christmas & thanks for letting us share your homemade soup the other evening, it was delicious! Next time Golden Granny claims she can't cook we will remind her of that night in November and that they sell turkeys in the grocery store all year round. ; )

12/3/08, 4:37 AM

Post a Comment