My Country  

Posted by Stan Harrington


There are those that question, "why don't the younger people take more of an interest in government, politics, and vote?

I have asked myself those same questions, however, the answer become very clear to me on Sunday past. I was never so appalled and ashamed of my country as I was on Sunday evening. I saw the Constitution Of Our United States disregarded and trampled on the floor of Congress. Neither House of Congress nor the White House listened to the majority of America. "When no one listens why should we take an interest."

I shared similar feelings when President Jimmy Carter allowed our Embassy in Iran to be overtaken by radical Iranians. Fifty three Americans were held hostage for 444 days from 11/4/1979 to 1/20/1981. The hostages were released within hours of President Reagan taking the Oath of Office as President of the United States.

I also felt these same feeling on October 12, 2000 when the U.S.S. Cole (DDG67) was attacked in Aden, Yemen killing seventeen sailors and wounding thirty-nine others. The attack on the U.S.S. Cole was conducted by Al-Qaeda. Although an attack on a U.S. Naval vessel is an act of war, President Clinton made no response. Less, than one year later on 9/11/2001, Al-Qaeda struck again.

In my lifetime, these are the three times that I have been disappointed in my country, two in the time of attacks on U.S. interest and the third of the corrupt politics that have been displayed in both houses of Congress during the debate and passage of a medical bill that the majority of America are not in favor as it is currently written.

I have no problem with some type of universal health plan, however, take it one page at a time and get it right. First correct the government health plans that are already in affect; Medicare, Medicaid, and Veterans Medical Benefits. The same plan as designed by our leadership is similar to the plans in Europe, Canada, Massachusetts, and California. All of them having difficulty meeting their goals and currently the two states are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Perhaps, the last show in Congress will awaken America, but until we clean up the mess in both Houses of Congress it will be for naught. We need to go back to the basics of the Constitution with Bills being passed by simple majority, eliminate earmarks, and any other matter not pertaining to the bill in question.

The Health Bill that will be signed into law today by the President at an estimated cost of one trillion dollars to our national deficit also has a second Bill attached. The "rider" Bill will also be signed into law. No discussion, just attached, passed, and sent on as part of the major legislation. However, this particular Bill is only going to cost 61 billion dollars for student loans, with 4 billion dollars reserved for black colleges and universities.

It Is Time For America To Awaken


This entry was posted on March 23, 2010 at Tuesday, March 23, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I love you dad, and I respect what my forefathers have done for my country, I do not respect what the last several "fore fathers" have been doing and yes it is because America is missing the message, busy jobs, busy schedule, sitcom TV, HBO, ipods, gyms, fast food....all have kept people from watching the news listening to what is happening...now I fear the mess is too big to fix, the people allowed it to get here some taking advantage of the system on the way...the people have to fix the problem, unfortunately the people do not agree on what they want fixed. Sad to see something my founding fathers worked so hard for, so I could live in peace and be taken care of go to the dogs....
Thank you for doing your part, Im sorry others did not do theirs...

3/23/10, 7:38 AM

My apologies for not commenting yesterday, as this post left a lot think on. Is the only way to take the control away by force? Don't go thinking I'm "postal", but our right to bear arms was written for a like occasion.
BTW, your last post heading is typo'ed.


I WIN!!
What's the prize?!
You planned that - right?!
.
.
.
.
.

3/24/10, 8:47 PM

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. As you note, in the remainder of the posting it is spelled Kachemak. "Kachemak" of course means smokey, however it was originally spelled "Kacehmak" by the early explorers and native culture. The same way that Soldotna was originally spelled Soldatna until the 1970's.

3/24/10, 10:04 PM

Post a Comment