To My "Buddy" ~ Happy Birthday  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Dutch Harbor Dutchman
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Sire: Redventure's Artful Dodger

Dam: Nibiru's Molly
Born: March 30, 2002

Birthplace: Dutch Harbor, Alaska


"DUTCH"

My Buddy "Dutch", today is your 8th Birthday, the time has slipped past so rapidly. I chose you sight unseen based only on the observations of Jerry, the owner of your mother and father. I saw you for the first time on May 18, 2002 at the Anchorage International Airport, when I opened the kennel that you and your sister shared. Despite several other people standing there, you came directly to me and our bond was formed.

During the basic obedience and retriever training that pursued, I often wondered to myself, "who was training who". You always seemed to be several steps ahead of me and so eager to learn and to please. During these eight years, we have shared so many memories and have covered many miles. Disregarding the local trips around Alaska that we have made together, we have also traveled over 27,000 miles covering three provinces of Canada and eighteen states.

Most importantly, we have formed a bond between us that is built on trust and love. Whether it is just laying at my feet, using my foot as pillow, or your vocalizing your "toller howl" when I walk through the door after leaving you at home.

We have had some great times, but we have also had some very difficult times in the past eight years. During those times you were always there for me. In times of sorrow, when tears would fill my eyes, you seemed to always sense it, laying your head on my lap, looking up at me with those beautiful eyes, as if to tell me, "it will be all right, I am here for you". You have asked for so little, yet have given so much in return.

Happy Birthday "Dutch" ~ You Are Special

"Dutch's Mother ~ "Molly"

May 18, 2002 ~ Anchor Angler Tackle Shop


"Six Months Old"


Winter 2005



Winter 2006

Winter 2008


"Retrieving On The Anchor River"


"Let's Go Huntin"


"More Memories To Build On, In The Future"

This entry was posted on March 30, 2010 at Tuesday, March 30, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Happy belated birthday Dutch, have a biscuit on me or my mother as she is feelign very generous! ;)
Good Boy!

3/31/10, 6:25 AM

Very touching post.

3/31/10, 8:33 PM

Post a Comment