God vs Politics  

Posted by Stan Harrington

In front of our National Flag and the flag of the U.S. Navy, I took the following oath five times in the span of twenty years of Naval service. Years, that I am very proud of and hold no regrets for making the U.S. Navy a career decision.

"I, Stanley Harrington, swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The President of the United States and each of our elected officials take a similar Oath, the "Oath of Office" when assuming the elected office to represent the citizens of our great country. The operative phase in both of these Oaths is "So Help Me God".

I am an American and I am tired of the constant attack by the minority of the population on the right to believe in the existence of God and even the use of the name of God. I am tired of the term "political correctness". I am tired of the constant barrage from those trying to remove the word, "God" from all facets of our life including our Pledge of Allegiance and Christmas.

It disturbs me that today, the one Department in our Government, that is suppose to remain free of "political correctness" has swayed and broken to the demands of the minority. The Department of Defense, in particular the U.S. Army.

Evangelist Billy Graham was known throughout the world as a spiritual leader, his Christian messages brought hope and light to millions of people of all religions around the world. He was the spiritual advisory to all the Presidents from Harry Truman to George W. Bush, with the exception of John F. Kennedy. President Ronald Reagan honored him with the awarding of the Congressional Gold Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nations highest civilian honor. President Bill Clinton and Senator Bob Dole also bestowed the Congressional Gold Medal on him for his work, not only spiritually but also for humanitarian efforts. He was bestowed the honor of Honorary Knighthood Commander by the British Empire.

His son, Franklin Graham, followed in his fathers footsteps as an Evangelist. Franklin Graham was invited by the U.S. Army to speak at the Pentagon on National Prayer Day, May 6, 2010. A group, Military Religious Freedom Foundation, vowed to seek a restraining order against National Prayer Day if it were "polluted by someone as hideously Islamophobic as Franklin Graham." In 2001, following 9/11 Graham wrote in an op-ed piece, that he does not believe Muslims are evil, but he objects to the treatment of women in Muslim countries and Islam's "persecution or elimination" of other religions.

Today, the U.S. Army withdrew their invitation to Franklin Graham as the speaker for National Prayer Day. Although, Colonel Tim Collins is the Army spokesman, I doubt that as a Colonel, this decision was made by him but from someone else in the Chain of Command extending from Colonel Collins to the Commander In Chief.

In a statement following the announcement, Franklin Graham stated, "I want to express my strong support for the United States military and all our troops. I will continue to pray that God will give them guidance, wisdom, and protection as they serve this great country".

Franklin Graham has a son, his name is Colonel Kevin Graham, a member and graduate of the long gray line, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He is serving his fourth tour of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq, the recipient of several medals including the Purple Heart for wounds suffered in combat. May God be with him and to all those that serve their country.

This entry was posted on April 23, 2010 at Friday, April 23, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Not much to add to that Stan very well written!
I am dealing with a "God" struggle on Facebook and have at times recently even thought of deleting certain people from my facebook, not because I do not agree but I am tired of everyone screaming for equal rights and respect yet we are given none for our beliefs.
I will accept your beliefs even if I do not like them as long as they do not negatively impact me but once you step over the line and disrespect my beliefs in order to push your own, then I loose my tolerance.

4/23/10, 10:03 AM

This was sent to me from a friend that does not have a blogger account. He asked me if I would post it, which I will, not because he is my friend but because me makes a very valid point.

"Separation of church and state, there is nothing about separation of religion and state, a huge difference. In effect, atheist's religion is belief in NO god, so by removing any reference to god it becomes preferential treatment for THEIR religion...... the whole time sitting back and screaming "victim", when in fact they are advancing their religion and it's beliefs, forcing it upon the rest of the country." JP

4/23/10, 12:55 PM

Very strong words.
It is not a mystery that humans, by nature, have denounced God from the beginning of time. If you consider Christmas and Easter, the way God was pushed out was a bunny and a jolly, generous, fat man. Jesus birth and His death on the cross were recorded events long preceding any holiday. "Religion" to most seems an excuse for the right to claim "Christian" when most have no clue what that means. Ask an early day Roman how the word came about as ridicule for Christ's followers while He walked the earth.
People tend to lean on their religion as a lever, use it for a false front, and judge neighbors. Matter of fact is that they are as human as you and I and are no different in the eyes of God - even those who choose to reject Him. Sorry for the sermon......this subject has potential to get me riled any day of the week.
If God is removed from what our country was founded on and the very existence of us by denying, we have nothing to save ourselves and will fall as many other civilizations on record.
I believe in God.
That fact has not done me wrong and I think He deserves some credit.

4/24/10, 9:41 AM

Well said John ~ All you need to do is to look around you at anytime and see the miracles that are created, far beyond the capabilities of mere mortals such as mankind.

4/24/10, 10:53 AM

Sunday, Today on his way to deliver the eulogy at the funeral of the coal miners that died in the mining accident, the President stopped by to visit Billie Graham and his son, Franklin Graham. I guess it is good that they are forgiving men, I do not know if I could be that tolerant. I personally feel, the decision to uninviting Franklin Graham was made at a very high level or at a minimum a "suggestion" from a high level.

4/25/10, 7:35 PM

Post a Comment