Research Is Good  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Since January, I have been spending countless hours of researching a trip that I am planning for the Fall of 2010. I have a defined "goal" to achieve during this trip. I have traced and then re-traced my proposed route several times. Just when I am satisfied with my route, in my research I discover something "new" and once again have to make an adjustment.

I have always loved "rocks", needless to say one of my favorite places to visit is the canyon lands of Utah. Even if you do not like "rocks", the formations in this area will leave you breathless. I have been through this area several times, each time it is exciting as the previous trips. This area of Utah is not small, half the state is encompassed by these rock formations. Just a trip through this area is well worth spending several days enjoying the warmth of fall and the colors of the various rock formations

However, my research revealed something that I did not know about this area. One of many objectives of this trip is to photograph a Desert Big Horn Ram. I have been fortunate to photograph the Dall Ram, Stone Ram, and the Rocky Mountain Big Horn Ram, but the Desert Ram has eluded my lense. I was concentrating my research to Arizona and Nevada for this particular specie of sheep.

I was not aware that the range of the Desert Big Horn Sheep included portions of Utah, primarily in the "Canyonlands". I was delighted to discover that one of the larger concentrations of Desert Bighorn Sheep was in an area of Utah that is less than 250 miles from the community of my birth in Western Colorado.

How fortunate, that I will be in this area at the commencement of the "rut", the time of the year that the Rams will butt a few heads to gain dominance of the herd. The fall season of the year, spending a few days admiring the "rock formations", and the potential to see Desert Big Horn Sheep in this environment. Does it get any better?



However, I do have a "back up plan" my route will still take me through Arizona and Nevada in search of this elusive specie of wild sheep. I will not return to Alaska until the mission is accomplished.

This entry was posted on April 16, 2010 at Friday, April 16, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

Sounds like great research and planning.
Do you know why Naval Carriers always have a few Marines on board?

...never mind...

Looking forward to pictures

4/17/10, 8:29 AM

On Navy Carriers, it is normally a very small contingent of Marines for security of some kind of weapons, I never saw them mounted on the aircraft so I know nothing. The ratio between Sailors and Marines is really small. However, on some Navy ships, the ratio is much higher when the ships primary mission is to put Marines on the beach. Yea, that was a sad day when they enacted that regulation!

4/17/10, 10:59 AM

as to desert bighorns and your trip planning-there are a few in the Virgin River gorge near St George, UT on the AZ strip. And since you like rocks you better plan a trip around the shores of Lake Mead and exiting toward Vegas through the Valley of Fire.

4/19/10, 4:44 PM

Dont forget to plan a stop at Kaycee, WY and try to get close to the original HITW

4/19/10, 4:45 PM

Dont rule out the Black Hills for your elk search

4/19/10, 4:46 PM

Three and a half steps ahead of you brother in all recommendations, they are plotted. I like that Virgin River area, I gambled there several times (Mosquito) but didn't see anyone that could pass as virgin. I am really shocked that you did not mention the Bighorn Herd in your hometown,referring to the Morning Glory Street community. Colorado National Park also has a herd of Rky Mtn Bighorn Sheep. Want to see if Cliff will join me on that hunt. He would enjoy that, I am sure. Don't tell anyone, I think I am the only person that knows about this herd. Going to spend several days in the Black Hills. They have Mountain Goat there also. Got a picture of one last year.

4/19/10, 11:53 PM

since you have an all terrain capability when you get to st george look up Joy Atkin. Tell her Bill says hi. See if she can give you directions to the ranch up on the az strip, I suspect you will have to get high and up on Grand Canyons North rim to see what you seek. Looking it up on the map look in the Mt Trumball area.

4/20/10, 4:40 AM

May I ask who Joy Atkin is and will I be safe? To use a line in a famous movie, "But Bill, I know where St. George is at but how do I find Joy?" St. George is a big town! Right now, my route will take me east of St. George through Kayenta, but that is also subject to change but I also have no problem driving in circles. I have several of those on my route already!

4/20/10, 11:06 AM

Speaking of advice, The "good post mistress" and Terry are getting upset with me. Each day new travel guides and maps arrive in the mail, but you are my only source for cousins. Would you sit down and make a list of cousins, aunts, uncles in the Wyoming area. I may get through both towns and should get acquainted with them. But please, do not put anyone from your "little black" book on the list! I have already routed my trip around Beaver, Utah. Afraid some kid may come running up to me and call me "Uncle Stan"!

4/20/10, 11:28 AM

Post a Comment