New Hobby  

Posted by Stan Harrington

In order to keep busy in my pre-retirement, I decided that I should indulge myself with a few additional hobbies. Throughout the spring and early summer, I saw my grandchildren get so excited in capturing and raising frogs. Unfortunately, the fatality rate was quite high in the transformation stages between a "wog" and "frog". One granddaughter, after loosing two wogs made the decision to raise mice. She had a match pair of beautiful white mice, but again unfortunately one of those passed away. Despite the losses, I saw how much fun they were having and such joy that these small creatures brought into their lives. Being that I am 61 years old, I knew that everyone would laugh at me if I pursued such a hobby, I have been a "closet wogger" since early June. When I saw the picture of my granddaughters white mice, I though that they might also be a good outlet for my boredom so I got a mouse. Like my grandchildren, I also suffered from the loss of several "wogs" with only one surviving to the frog stage of life. I could not find any white mice, however, with a little effort I was able to capture a "wild" one. With a little patience and trust, she has learned to take food out of my hand and sit on my lap. Being that the frog and the mouse are both housed in my little "workshop" they eventually had an encounter, fortunately this encounter turned into a friendship and now they spend most of their spare time together. "Millie" the mouse has learned to trust "Leapy" the frog, although being a mouse, she is not particularly fond of the water, however, she has learned to trust "Leapy" for a little swim around his pool.

This entry was posted on July 29, 2006 at Saturday, July 29, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

They are soo cute....our last frog passed away last night, we think he drowned, go figure that one....we are headed to the pet store today (MAYBE) to see if they carry frogs.

7/30/06, 10:54 AM

I think your frog is a toad...

8/1/06, 5:24 AM

Post a Comment