1936  

Posted by Stan Harrington


When one takes the time to reflect back on their past, they quickly realize the multitude of advancements and changes that have occurred in just our lifetime.
Recently, while making a purchase at a store, I reached into my pocket to retrieve the exact change. It was only then, that I discovered this simple little Nickel, a 1936 Indian Head. Evidently change that I had received from an earlier transaction.
Being that this little Indian Head Nickel was older than I, by nine years and most likely has been in circulation for the past seventy one years, I wondered to myself what has this Nickel seen during its lifetime.
In the year that the Nickel was minted, the Olympic Games were being held in Germany, the Nazi Party headed by Adolf Hitler was in control of Germany. Jessee Owens, a black athlete from the United States, was the hero of the games by winning four gold medals in track and field events.
This same year, author Margaret Mitchell published her novel, "Gone With The Wind" which won her the Pulitzer prize in 1937. This would be the only novel that she would write.
Standard Oil of California discovered oil in the middle of a desert in a small country called Saudi Arabia.
I would be fascinating to know the where this little Nickel has traveled and how it ended up in Anchor Point, Alaska. The past cannot be traced, but the future of the Nickel is assured, it will be given to my granddaughter, Brittany, as she is the only person that I know that collects Nickels.

This entry was posted on September 21, 2007 at Friday, September 21, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

She will treasure it forever I am sure. but If she receives any more nickels she is also in need of containers to hold them in...although this one may end up on the wall. So I wonder...has that nickel ever been in your hand before....maybe as a small boy you handed it over to see a movie at the cinema....or for a soda...only the nickel knows.

9/21/07, 10:46 AM

I collect nickels, of course the wooden ones.

9/21/07, 11:11 AM

was it made at the Denver mint, or, other? BIG difference in value to collectors.

9/21/07, 3:11 PM

I cannot make out the mint mark on it, it shows 71 years of age - value is not important as age, the older we get, the more valuable we become! Damm, it is good to be a silver sideburned Senior Citizen.

9/21/07, 7:30 PM

If the nickel was made at the Denver mint (still in operation), the coin may only be worth 2-3 times face value. If it was made at a "closed" mint, it may be worth hundreds.

9/23/07, 8:11 AM

Post a Comment