I Need A Hug  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Today, as I watched the Denver Broncos win their seasonal opener in the National Football League, my thoughts wandered to my telephone as to why it was not ringing. I checked it a couple of times "to make sure it had not lost it's fluxxy" (On Golden Pond) but all seemed to be in working order. Following the game, I carried the phone outside with me as I went about my yard work, knowing that the phone would ring very soon, but it did not. At dinner, I sat the phone next to my plate of food, knowing that I would surely be interrupted by the phone call I had been anxiously awaiting all day. Nothing happened. Following dinner, I watch the Cowboys beat up the Giants in my second football game, feeling drowsy, I placed the phone next to my recliner so I surely would not miss the important call, once again I was disappointed. The day is now ending and my phone has still not uttered a single note.


In my lifetime, I have been very fortunate by having four wonderful children, twelve grandchildren and two great grandchildren, however my phone still did not ring. You may be wondering why he is placing so much emphasis on a telephone call. The answer is simple. In 1978, President Jimmy Carter issued a Presidential Proclamation, most likely the only thing he accomplished in office, declaring that the Sunday following Labor Day (September 9, 2007) would be the official Grand Parents Day in the United States.

If you are now feeling very guilty, you can make amends by calling your grandparents and sing them a little song that you will find at this link. Just click the bar titled "A Song for Grandma and Grandpaon" under this picture at the web site and you will be as instantly happy as I when you listen to the words. I surely wish I had my grandparents, I would call them - but at least my thoughts are with them.

This entry was posted on September 9, 2007 at Sunday, September 09, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

If you spent any time at the web site that was linked, you most likely discoverd that there were no nominees for Grand Parents of the Year fromthe State of Alaska. Texas even stole our state flower for the nominee!

9/9/07, 10:28 PM

HAPPY GRANDPARENTS DAY and I did not get a call either...but here is a hug....loves.

9/10/07, 8:40 PM

I am sorry I forgot grandparents day...tell grandma I love her and her is a hug for you!

9/10/07, 9:54 PM

Post a Comment