Cedar City,Utah  

Posted by Stan Harrington
































From Top To Bottom:
(1) Capital Reef National Park
(2) Cedar Tree At Capital Reef
(3) Capital Reef National Park
(4) Bryce Canyon National Park
(5) Rock Bridge at Bryce Canyon
(6) Bryce Canyon, Note Cedar Tree On Top
(7) A Very Small Portion of Bryce Canyon National Park.
I thought tonight that I would post only pictures, no amount of "prattle" nor colorful adjectives could fully describe what we experienced today. Only the all mighty could paint the pictures that we saw today, a digital camera in the hands of a novice does not capture his ability to create beauty. I wish all of you could have been with us to experience what we witnessed. I have seen beauty all over the world, but the rugged natural beauty that I witnessed today is unmatched.
We left Richfield right after daylight this morning in order to see some wildlife, we only saw a few deer all day but when we visited our first stop, the wildlife were forgotten as we were so awe struck over the scenery. We did not cover many miles today, but we did visit Capital Reef National Park (our favorite), Escalante National Park, and Bryce Canyon National Park. Leaving Bryce Canyon, we had to cut back east out of our way a few miles to Cedar City to get a motel for the night, unfortunately we passed through the Cedar Breaks National Monument in partial darkness so we missed allot of it - but we will return. Perhaps tomorrow! The Cedar Breaks is located with a pass over it that is 9,600 feet in altitude, breath taking scenery. Just after dusk, we came to a turn out and did not see it in time to stop and get pictures, but Butch Cassidy Gully is also located in the Cedar Breaks. Tomorrow, we may back track so we can get a daylight look at the Cedar Breaks then move down just a few miles south of us and go through Zion National Park before we go into Arizona. We have both agreed, that we are going to pass on visiting the big canyon (Grand Canyon) in Arizona, after seeing what we saw today and since we have seen it in the past, it would be a disappointment. I only wish now that I was a better photographer. We have also agreed, that we will come back here to visit these same areas again and camp out. I can picture myself sitting around a campfire next to motor home and listening to the night sounds . I was awesome, just wish all of you could have been with us to enjoy it.
Did encounter a small problem this morning, a lady passed me right outside of Loa, Utah and was pointing at the truck, so I slowed down and pulled over thinking my tailgate was open or something. She went down the road, turned around and came back about the time I was getting back to the front to get in the truck, she pointed down and said you have a flat tire. Sure enough, I did. We never felt a thing wrong with the truck but it was pretty flat and even flatter when I did a u-turn in the road and dove back into a garage a half mile down the road in Loa and had two new rear tires mounted on the rear. I guess the old studs did not like the hot pavement and high speeds. Tomorrow brings another beautiful day, I have been through Zion National Park once by myself, it is also breathtaking. See you down the road.

This entry was posted on October 23, 2007 at Tuesday, October 23, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Hey replacing tires on a road trip like this is a good thing...it shows the miles you have traveled. Jeff and I rented a car the time we went to Colorado on the train. we got stranded in Salt Lake for two days...We went to a few of those rock formations and I have always sworn I will see them all someday...camping...the only way to experience Mother Nature.

Loves and Glad your having a wonderful time. We miss you and well...Shane stole the "iron ore" from my post card that I got when I was a child and we went through Salt Lake...will you bring me back more???It was attached to the post card in a little cloth bag...bet they still make the post card too...hehe.

Loves again...

10/23/07, 9:37 PM

Clicking on the picture to enlarge really shows the formations in greater detail. Are we suppose to be looking for post cards with rocks attached? I already have a bag full of acorns, wild black walnuts in various stages of development and a rock from Arkansas for the little ones to look at. Surely, I hope I do not get inspected at the Canadian border!

10/23/07, 9:59 PM

The pinacle rock formations at Bryce National Park are referred to by the geologists as "whodoos", just thought you would like to know.

10/23/07, 10:02 PM

Those photo's are amazing! I was impressed!
The other day I was cleaning out kitchen storage space and found the "Cedar Nuts" we bought on RT 66...way back when! They didn't taste to great.

10/24/07, 6:49 AM

What is the shelf life of those cedar nuts? You are very brave to try them!
Heather and Hunter LOVE the pictures since they have never seem them before! Heather still thinks you need more pictures of Grandma but I wonder how many will be enough. We have had long talks about cell phone service because she thinks Grandma is hanging up on her! I have to tell her that you are probably in a no cell service area. We are batteling PINK EYE! I feel like we are quuarintined with the plague because the sheets and pillow cases must be washed every morning so as to help stop the spreading and we are not allowed to go public. Mom and Larry might be the ones that suffer the most though. If they get it they are off work for a mandatory week or more because they both work in the hospital. DO you know how hard it is to pin my son down to rinse his eyes out? Lets just say the last few months wrestling with Donny has him kicking my butt. MAybe when he is better he can go to Uncle Shane's house and learn some good moves...Donny beware!

10/24/07, 9:17 AM

What in the hell is cedar nuts? I thinketh you are referring to pinon nuts :)

10/24/07, 8:00 PM

Is that what they are? They brown and are very small with little seed in side the shell. :)

10/24/07, 8:21 PM

Yes, that be them - we traded for them at a Navajo Trading Post, I believe two chipmunk skins and one road killed skunk pelt got a good size bag of nuts - it takes a lot of them to make a mouth full.

10/24/07, 8:33 PM

Post a Comment