Whitehorse, Yukon Territory  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Saw this little turtle crossing the road today just outside of Teslin Junction. I stopped the truck

and carried him safely over to the side of the road where there was a small pond. I set down on an old log and gently held him in my hand and stroked his back with my finger tip and tried to explain to him if he did not get his head out his butt he was going to get run over.
Pulled out of Tok Junction this morning at 0830, highways lightly snow packed and 16 degrees. To answer every one's comments from the last posting, yes the frost heaves still exist. I remember them from the first time I came over the highway in the 50's and it was gravel. They still have not figured out a way to stop them. Definitely worse on the Canadian side of the border. Despite the frost heaves, made good time but bounced Terry off the roof a couple of times. Had a little problem at the border, despite having U.S. Passports and answering no to all three questions, how many cigarettes in my possession, how much booze, and if I was packing a gun. Our legality was questioned but then they looked at the Health Certificate for "Dutch" and it had him listed as Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever so they thought he must be a Canadian and allowed us to enter Canada on a Visitor Visa with Dutch as our sponsor.


Got my first shock with the metric system today. Took on a little Bronze Shell, but only after I asked the attendant what in the hell Bronze Shell was! I thought it might be diesel, but it is regular unleaded. I was surprised, it was only $1.28 a liter, so while my tank filled I washed the windows, headlights and looked at the birds. I heard the nozzle trip off line, went over and looked at the pump, $88.00 for 68.267 liters or 17.75 gallons - don't do the math it was about $4.95 a gallon! Got me coming south - won't get me going north!


Still loving my GPS, have not come up with name for her but I think I love her! She is a darling, all the mileage markers are in metric so all I need is my little GPS and she shows me in miles to my destination and expected time of arrival. She has been right on so far, I may slip behind schedule a few minutes for rest stops but make it up on the straight aways. Speed limit is 90 KMH, so since I do not know metric, I am assuming that is close to 90 mph. This morning, I told her to take me to a hotel at 202 Wood Street in Whitehorse, a distance of about 400 miles. She brought me right to their front door of the hotel, with a bar on each side, side walk packed with drunk locals with one urinating on the street - needless to say we are not staying there despite the fact they accept pets.


Staying just a block from the famous Yukon River and paddle wheelers. They also accepted "Dutch" as a guest, but his room rate was $14.90 a night! I am going to claim him next year on my taxes! We did see two cow elk today just before we got into Whitehorse, they were wanting to cross the road and kept looking to the other side, then I noticed the trail in the snow. It must have been a large herd by the trail it left, but we never saw the main herd.
Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada and a holiday. I asked the waitress at dinner tonight why they celebrate their Thanksgiving, she looked a little confused and admitted she did not know why. I explained to her why we celebrate ours but that did not ring any bells with her either, she was in her mid 20's, one would think she would know why they celebrate holidays - she may have been absent from school that day.
I am sure that early tomorrow, new adventures await so I will see you on down the road.

This entry was posted on October 8, 2007 at Monday, October 08, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

They must, still, have better gas in Canada. Did you double your mileage at 90 KPH?
Now that the turtle's head is pulled out of his butt, is there room to put it back?

10/9/07, 5:46 AM

Why would he want to put it back john?

I think I drank at a bar in Whitehorse, I was only 18 but legal!

So why do Canadians celebrate thanksgiving?

10/9/07, 6:23 AM

Well to give thanks of course...helllooo!!Glad the trip is going well. Some where North of Tok Jeff and I stopped to view a small herd of caribou...We ended up sitting there for an hour waiting for the mass of fur hooves and antlers to pass...turned out to be a very BIG herd. Hope today is filled with many fun adventures. Be safe and don't forget to bring us back some "foreign candy". We remember it from a trip as kids...okay we somewhat remember it. Loves to Dutch for your safe entry into foreign lands.

10/9/07, 7:11 AM

Hey you need to get Golden Granny set up with her blog again...it would be nice to see a new posting...and she cant have too much too do.....share your toys father!

10/9/07, 11:07 AM

I call my GPS either ToM tOM OR fANNY....wHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT SEXY VOICE SMOOZING YOU TO YOUR WAYPOINTS

10/10/07, 8:19 AM

Post a Comment