Devon, Alberta  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Stopped for the night in Devon, Alberta, a small community just south of Edmonton, Alberta (population 600,000+). Suzie took us right through Edmonton using a bypass route, first time that I have ever been in Edmonton that we did not get lost. I think I love her! Pulled out of Ft Nelson a little after eight this morning, a beautiful sunny day with temps in the 50's. Brother Bill forgot to warn me about the truck traffic between Ft. Nelson and Ft.St John - I mean like convoys of trucks but the roads were great although there is quite a bit of construction. Did get Suzie confused and got lost on the turn about in Dawson Creek while trying to find the Alcan Monument, but on the second attempt we were successful. Drove a total of 639 miles today, a little further than I wanted to but we will be in the U.S. tomorrow! We are now, 2,205.6 miles from Anchor Point.

We have driven over 2,000 miles of wilderness, was able to see a great variety of wildlife yesterday but we have yet to see a bear! However, while driving south of Dawson Creek on a four lane divided highway, we saw our first bear, a small black bear feeding alongside the highway. The other specie that we have not yet seen is a moose! Although, we did see three road kills today but I guess they don't count nor does the roadkill coyote that we saw. We are slowly catching up with fall but we also caught up with the migrating geese. In Dawson Creek, any direction you looked in the sky we could see flocks of geese and later saw a lot of them sitting in the harvested wheat fields. I am sure Bill will be interested, but we also saw the biggest beaver I have ever seen - got a couple of good pictures which I will post someday before the trip is over.

The gas prices and converting to the metric system is still driving me nuts, but tonight I found a way to take some of the bite out of the cost of the gas. As of tonight, it has cost us .26 cents per mile for gas, actually a little less because I still have 3/4 of tank left from an earlier filler up stop. Looking at it in that light, it really is not to bad and the cost will continue to decline as we move into the cheaper gas in the good old U.S. of A. We did gas up at Safeway in Dawson Creek today, granny had her Safeway points and they took off 7 cents a gallon, but it was still over $4.00 a gallon!

Things are going great, Dutch has settled in and has become a very good traveler, starting to learn to read the road map and listen to Suzie's voice. I think I love her, but I want to keep it professional. Morning comes early, see you on down the road - love to all.

This entry was posted on October 10, 2007 at Wednesday, October 10, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Strange that Bill would comment that I was driving to fast - I was just talking about that today. On the Sterling Highway to Anchorage, I never go over 60 yet on similar roads along the Alcan, 75 to 80 is very comfortable - we were talking about that today and we reached the conclusion it is because we never saw a Mountie the entire trip down the highway. Well, we did see one, he tried to wave us down but I ignored him and drove faster. He kept up with us for a short distance before his horse got tired. I don't know why they all ride quarter horses, they are only good for a quarter of a mile - he did look a little upset, thought he might shoot at us but his pistol was tied to his jacket on a cord and he could not get it out of the holster before we made the corner.

10/10/07, 9:56 PM

I don't think Mounties carry guns. You are making some good time. Hope your enjoying all of it. What does mom do to keep busy? And what about her walk? Are you walking my mother? Have ya got me anything yet? huh? have ya huh???

10/10/07, 10:36 PM

Mounties do to carry guns and they are connected to a lanyard with the other end looped around their neck so the gun may not be taken away from them and yes, they do ride horses, wear a red uniform with pouchy pants and round flat billed brim hat. Yes, your mother is still walking daily, I usually drive about ten miles per hour as she walks alongside the truck for a couple of miles each morning with Dutch. She spends a lot of time looking at the Milepost and planning, talking with Suzie, watching for moose, and petting Dutch when he sticks his head between the seats - other than that she just yells at me for taking the corners on two wheels.

10/10/07, 10:51 PM

It sounds like you're having way too good of a time with Suzie.I only hope this doesn't escalate into a digitized voice fetish. We're likely to find you in court with charges that involve Fred Meyer's self-check line and a bit of public indecency.

10/11/07, 5:26 AM

Post a Comment