Bellingham, Washington  

Posted by Stan Harrington

TRIVIA: GUESS WHERE THESE PICTURES ARE FROM








Pulled out of Elma, Washington after visiting the Pyhala families until about noon. Headed up to Port Townsend to catch the ferry, according to the ferry schedule it was leaving at 2:15 and according to Suzie, our arrival time was going to be at 2:06 pm into Port Townsend. By cutting a few corners short and kicking up a little speed on the straightaways I managed to pick up 6 minutes arriving in plenty of time to be one of the last few cars to board the ferry. So our time in Port Townsend was cut short. Whidbey Island has not changed that much, but Oak Harbor is now a city including Wally World. Toured the area before going out to visit Roger and Mary. You would know Mary instantly, she has not aged a day since we last saw her. After our visit, we headed north to Bellingham to we could get an early start on our pre-Canada crossing.
Last night we found the "motel from hell", fortunately for me it was one your mother selected. It was terrible, all night I expected the cars on the freeway to come through the room, then the train, then the smell, then the constant drip of water! I was not going to take a chance of hooking up my laptop, we were up and out by 7:30 looking for coffee!
As a word of advice in your future travels, Bellingham is now a good size city, however, do not ever try to buy four studded snow tires or see a veterinarian on Sunday. The few places I did check on tires, Wally World, Costco and Sears they looked me like like I was stupid and did not have my size tires in stock and standard question was "why do you need them studded", "you know they are going to be outlawed next year!" The largest tire dealer on the West Coast is suppose to be open tomorrow, of course all large dealerships close on Sunday. I even hate to think what the vet is going to tell us, "oh, he is a dog, you know they are going to be outlawed next year"! Needless to say, the chores we wanted to do today will be postponed until tomorrow, still hope to be out of town by 1300 and into Canada headed north.
My son in laws will be happy to know that I had enough time to to kill today that I did get an oil change, lube job, fuel filter, antifreeze check, and I have 35 pounds of air in each tire - I may have that same air when I get home if I do not find any new tires.
Tonight we are staying in the LaQuinta Inns and Suites and had dinner at a "Olive Garden", a step up in comparison to last night at the "motel from hell" and IHop. Surprising what you can find in the daylight and are not tired. Hopefully, we will be up the road a piece, somewhere in Canada tomorrow night - if not I will be in a bad enough mood, I will not be blogging! Likely see you sometime this weekend or maybe next week if we decide to take the side trip into the Northwest Territory, I have always wanted to see Great Slave Lake.

This entry was posted on November 4, 2007 at Sunday, November 04, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Tired of traveling...ready to be home? No snow here yet maybe ya wont need those studs...been 45 or so during the day. That is our house in Whidbey...with new siding and land scape...is the park still in back?

Good luck getting into a vet...as for the tires if you were further south...I have a tire shop that owes me BIG...they forgot to tighten my lug nuts and one of my 600 dollar tires fell off at 55...so you would need to check the nuts. Not much more up North...but if you head toward the East like Mt Baker...you may find studded tires and willing employees. Plus a much nicer place to stay...you should check out Whistler Moutain Resort...if you cross on I5 mom would love Vancouver...there is a great night club down town...a comedy show...and the pent house suite in the down town hotels are cheap this time of year. Never mind heath and donny just told me that money is no longer worth nothing extra in Canada...so good luck....have a safe trip and good luck with your adventures.

11/4/07, 8:50 PM

and the second one...I will guess for Shane as he can not get on line and it was "his" glory...but that candy shop got a lot of my money (hehe your money!)must be the ball fields on the "smelly beach". The wading pool at the park up the street was so green...and the swimming hole...was there ever really a manoray in there or was that a way to keep us out of that water?

11/4/07, 8:52 PM

You must be getting tired of driving and miss the comfort of leaving your own light on or the trip has reached its end naturally. Which ever the case Sissy is so excited to hear you are going to be home ahead of schedule! She has missed Grandma terribly and can't wait to see her.
You are lucky though we were going to move a guest into your home while you were gone but as luck has it he has since passed so no need! Well enjoy the trip and hope everything is fine with Dutch and it is just routine check up!

11/5/07, 8:42 AM

We continue to be on schedule, origianlly we said we would be gone about five weeks, then Thanskgiving was mentioned. Never get tired of travleing, each corner is something new. Very disappointed in the trivia picture questions - perhaps you should fax them to Shane. I will give no other hints.

11/5/07, 8:22 PM

Post a Comment