Tok, Alaska  

Posted by Stan Harrington




Drove out of Whitehorse, YT this morning, shortly after daylight to find dry roads for the remainder of the 381.4 miles to Tok, Alaska. It is good to be back home again. Total trip mileage as of today is 11,576.7 miles so by the time we reach the most westerly highway point in North America, our total accumulation will exceed 12,000 miles.
A quiet day on the road today, no traffic at all and even less "wild" animals to look at. Southbound and northbound, we have yet to see any wildlife in the Yukon Territory, perhaps a telephone call to their Fish and Game Department is in order.
Daughter Heidi has decided to start a new photography project by capturing"church steeples" as her subject, so I could not resist this shot.
This Catholic Church is located in Haines Junction, YT, originally founded by a traveling priest in 1954. The church was adapted from an old "Quonset Hut" that had been abandon by the U.S. Army after completion of Alcan Highway during WW II. You will have to look close, but hanging from the belfry at the rear of the church is the ideal bell for the HITW. Once again, my drive along companion would not scale the wall and secure the bell for safe keeping. I tried to convince her if we did not secure it into our custody, someone was going to steal it. That is the second bell that she has declined to retrieve, I am starting to run out of churches! Does the Jehovah Witness Church in Homer have a bell? I know the Salvation Army has a lot of bells, I here them twinkling throughout the Christmas season.
Did discover one thing today, the short time that we were gone, the Alcan Highway came alive and grew. Southbound, we found the typical "frost heaves" associated with this section of the highway since it as built. A problem that has never been resolved despite the best plans of the engineers that have tried to solve the problem. On our return trip, five weeks later the entire highway has decided to move up and down, it was ugly in some spots. You hit one when you are not expecting it at 79.6 mph, it will make you clutch the car seat as you catch air. Fortunately, because of the way we are loaded, the back of he truck is heavier and we always had a rear wheel landing. Good thing Grandma is little, anymore weight in the front and we may have been out of balance. I now know what it feels like to make an "arrested landing" on the deck of a aircraft carrier.
We will move out slowly, but smartly in the a.m. and poke our way along the highway inbound for LA. Susie has you locked in on GPS at 318.6 miles and 4 hours 52 minutes driving time. Perhaps unless we encounter a "kodak" moment, snow, ice, wind, or highway closure. See you soon. Happy Birthday Devyn!!!!

This entry was posted on November 8, 2007 at Thursday, November 08, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Drive safe, keep the wheels on the ground, and we'll see you in LA.

11/9/07, 5:05 AM

Oh, yeah - none of us have money for bail, so be careful who sees the bell get in your truck...

11/9/07, 5:06 AM

Goooode Morning All!! Up at 0530 for a brisk walk with Dutch, watched the cafe open up next door at 0600. On bended knees I pled my case to the hostess who was kind enough to "loan" me a caffee of coffee "to go" as long as I returned it before leaving the motel. A great morning to sit on the veranda, drink coffee and watch all the people packing up to go. Still to dark to enjoy the scenery, so we will sit tight, wait for a little light in the east and enjoy my morning coffee. Weather conditions look good all the way into Anchorage but it looks like Homer and AP are getting dumped on, either rain or snow can't tell but it is not here so that is good! I guess I should make a little noise and get Grandma moving so she too can enjoy first light, besides somene has to load the truck while I consier opitonal plans for the day. She has develop into a very good valet and navigator but still has a personal conflict with Susie, I think some type of girl thing vying for attention.

11/9/07, 6:51 AM

Goooode Morning All!! Up at 0530 for a brisk walk with Dutch, watched the cafe open up next door at 0600. On bended knees I pled my case to the hostess who was kind enough to "loan" me a caffee of coffee "to go" as long as I returned it before leaving the motel. A great morning to sit on the veranda, drink coffee and watch all the people packing up to go. Still to dark to enjoy the scenery, so we will sit tight, wait for a little light in the east and enjoy my morning coffee. Weather conditions look good all the way into Anchorage but it looks like Homer and AP are getting dumped on, either rain or snow can't tell but it is not here so that is good! I guess I should make a little noise and get Grandma moving so she too can enjoy first light, besides somene has to load the truck while I consier opitonal plans for the day. She has develop into a very good valet and navigator but still has a personal conflict with Susie, I think some type of girl thing vying for attention.

11/9/07, 6:51 AM

Thought I would post twice just in case you missed it the first time! Not even behind the wheel and I am double cluchting, need more coffee!

11/9/07, 6:53 AM

Welcome HOME!!!

11/9/07, 11:57 PM

Thanks for bring the snow with you! I hope you made it home okay!

11/10/07, 6:47 PM

Bet you guys are glad to be HOME! As much fun as a trip like is it always nice to come home. How is Ruegger and Glodie? Is she glad you guys are home?

11/10/07, 7:29 PM

Post a Comment