Treasure Hunting  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Sitting around the homestead, I got bored and looking for something to do; I decided to go on a treasure hunt! It is an easy game to play and it is surprising the number of “great discoveries that you can make. It is always fun to go through “old” photo albums and cardboard boxes covered with the dust of time. However, I found an area that holds the oldest of treasures, a place that each one of us see several times a day and never pay that much attention to the “valuables” that lurk inside. That place is the medicine cabinet in your bathroom! I found it to be so entertaining, that from now on whenever I visit someone’s home, I am gong treasure hunting.
Not wanting to spoil any future exploratory games within my personal home, I contained my search to just one location of this particular trip. The second bathroom is reserved for the next windy, rainy day. Purposely, I also passed on researching the cabinet under the sink; I know that there are going to be a bunch of artifacts lurking down there.

One of my great discoveries in the “guest” bathroom was a tube of “A+D Original Ointment Skin Protectant”. Where it came from and why, I have no concept but it is for “diaper rash” and it has been some years since we had that problem in our household. However, the collector value in this, which I just discovered, is that despite the label on the tube, there is no such word as “protectant”. According to my spell check, the closest match is “protestant”. Not placing my full faith in spell check, I pulled out that old fashion book called a dictionary. Daniel Webster supports the conclusion of spell check.


I then discovered the box! You never know what may lurk inside a “little tin box”. Opening it slowly in anticipation of what I would discover in my little tin of Maximum Strength Sucrets, I found one sore throat lozenge still wrapped in the original tin foil. What a great find! Now, I know this is valuable and possibly the oldest one in existence since the Expiration Date on the backside of the tin is September 1988, it was even made in the USA.

However, the last discovery was the best. I have an “original” tube of “Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing for normal, dry hair”. What a find, considering that about 50% of the greasy substance remains in the tube and it is still pliable, ready for use. I can provide a Certificate of Authenticity” concerning this valuable artifact. I personally purchased this product some time in 1982 – 1983, prior to my retirement from the U.S. Navy in 1983. Having to wear a hat as part of my uniform anytime that I was outside, I found that just a little dab of this would hold your hair in place when you removed your cover. At a minimum, this “treasure” is twenty-five years old!


After this little treasure hunting expedition, I wait in anticipation for the next rainy day. I still have more cabinets to explore; I can then turn my attention to the crawl space. Now, that is going to be at least a “three week hunting trip”, in those old cardboard boxes there is going to be an abundance of artifacts and valuable treasures.

Now, the three items that I have posted will be going on E-Bay in the near future, but since all of you are my friends, I want to give you the first opportunity to bid on them. In the comment section, please leave the name of the product that you want and your bid price. All reasonable offers will be considered.

This entry was posted on February 21, 2008 at Thursday, February 21, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

VO5, please. I used to "drool" over the babes in commercials!
In exchange, I will not drool this year at HITWRA and not put your lawn chairs and wine up on the tool shed any more.

2/22/08, 2:14 AM

I remember Sucrets, as well - and I'll bet Mom has some that old.
I still hate the "cherry" flavor

NO BID!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/protectant

1935 entry.

As far as A&D ointment - that may have been ours when the house was new, but does NOT go bad, like Bag Balm, but is a good replacement for Corn Huskers Lotion for cracked, dry working hands. Takes a SMALL amount - thus, lasting a full generation.
I can understand your thrill in this type of treasure hunt. I enjoy looking in my old boxes once in a while.
HEY! How about I take all three items off your hands and, in return, let you have my 1978 Pioneer car stereo amplifier. It IS blown, but the cost of repair will be out-weighed by collectors' marketable value.

2/22/08, 2:24 AM

that VO5...funny story that little tube of CRAP!! I also thought those VO5 girl were sexy and I wanted to look that way also!!
It was the last year the the old(new) high school was a high school. The queen pageant was happening that night, and I had a huge crush on Cory Dusenberry, he was working the pageant and I new I could compete with all those girls competing!
SOOOO...I thought I would use some of that VO5 to make my short (boy like) hair beautiful, long, and lusterus (k I was in jr high quit laughing) just like those girls in the commercials. It didn't work, I ended up trying to dry my hair for an hour and when you finally dragged me out of the house. My hair looked like I had dunked my head in a fryer vat. I was laughed at...by everyone! and it tooks a week to wash out! I guess i used to much.
Thanks for drugging up a very painful and dark memories.

2/22/08, 7:05 AM

Okay first of all I have a confession...those sucrets?? I ate them...I left that last one a long time ago...so you would not catch me...they were in the medicine cabinet in your bathroom upstairs at the Baycrest house.....

The VO5 I remember mom adding that to the shopping list...hehe...so long ago...

Third...I thought my mother was a pack rat and saved anything that might be used again...but...

and then....I wanna go on the next treasure hunt...and while your under that sink...fix the leak...

Love Ya.

2/22/08, 8:10 AM

I am still laughing at you sister...I always thought that stuff was to hide grey hair....guess I should a watched more TV instead of hiding my nose in books...

2/22/08, 8:14 AM

Boy i've been looking everywhere for that stuff. My diaper rash is out of control!

2/22/08, 8:32 AM

A 1978 Pioneer Stereo, wow, that is a goodie. A treasure of that magnitude and I am sure a memorable part of your life should be preserved and given to the family whose son marries which ever one of yur daughters that gets married first, it would be a great dowery gift. I appreciate your offer, but I am going to hold out for cold hard cash or give it to my youngest daughter so she will have long hair! Now, I know why I had to gt a haircut every two weeks but perhaps since I used the product for so many years and have not had any hair loss in 62 years, perhaps it preserves hair! Perhaps the Bull Buffie would be a good candidate.

2/22/08, 10:26 AM

I really like this site, it is so funny and always fun to visit.

2/22/08, 12:29 PM

Wow MOM AND SHANE!!! you are so special!

2/22/08, 4:25 PM

mom???!!! oh my mommy is back....

2/23/08, 9:14 AM

Post a Comment