Got Gas  

Posted by Stan Harrington


Being some what bored and concerned about the cost of gasoline I spent a few hours reviewing gas prices throughout the area. With the approach of Memorial Day weekend, when it always seems we come up with this mysterious short supply of gas, I thought I had best prepare myself. Although, historically gasoline prices go up in the spring due to shortages but they also decline in price at the onslaught of fall. I guess they make more gas in the summer than any other time of the year, it is just to late for us to enjoy cheaper prices when we are traveling.

As in so many other things, those living in the metropolitan area of Las Anchorage, benefit from cheaper gas. Something else I have never figured out, they make the gasoline in North Kenai, about sixty miles form my house yet I pay more for gas than those that live in LA, must have something to do with the shortage.

At any rate, a task of this magnitude took some time, so the prices may vary, however I did the polling on gas prices that were set on Sunday and Monday. For those in the Las Anchorage area, if you are going to gas up, this is your best bet for regular unleaded:

Costco on Debarr and Bragaw: $3.11 gal but if you drive out to Costco on Diamond, the price increases to $3.16 gal. Must have something to do with the scenic drive. These two stations offer the cheapest gas in Las Anchorage that I could find.

Drive out to Eagle river and you will also save a few cents:
Chevron @ Eagle River $3.18 gallon
Holiday @ Eagle River $$3.18 gallon

You would think that the gas prices on Elmandorf A.F.B. and Fort Richardson would be a lot cheaper, since this is federal property and not subject to the local taxation and desire to help the military families. Wrong, the gas prices on the bases is set at $3.18 a gallon.

The highest price gasoline in Anchorage is at the following locations:
Holiday Stations: $3.29 gallon
Tesoro Stations: $3.29 gallon (Made in Alaska)

Now before you start weeping, I also took a sampling of other cities in Alaska:
Fairbanks: Similar price structure as Las Anchorage
Cordova: $4.42 gallon
Kenai: $3.59 gallon
Soldotna: $3.49 gallon
Homer: $3.62 gallon
Anchor Point: $3.43 gallon (Thank you Rochelle for keeping the price low)
Bethel: $4.98 or $4.94 gallon

Now the bad news, the economists and AAA is projecting that gas prices this summer will increase to $5.00 per gallon because of the shortage. Sorry, there is no good news!

Think "Green" and buy an electric car, if you equate the cost of a gallon of gas to the cost to charge your battery, if electricity were sold by the gallon, it would only cost you $5.59 per gallon but you are helping the environment. I take comfort in the fact that if I were to buy a gallon of Baily's Irish Creme, it would cost me $41.39, so when I pump $80.00 or 23.32 gallons of gasoline into my tank, I am grateful that I am not an alcoholic.

This entry was posted on March 11, 2008 at Tuesday, March 11, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

Has nothng to do with gasoline, with the exception that you do use more gasoline when you run the air conditoner in your car. Forecast for Lincoln, Nebraska for the next few days is 65 degrees or higher! Wish I could run my air conditoner in my truck, oh, after three years I discovered I did not have one of those when I visited Arizona this past fall. Think sping, sometime this summer, we may see a day that it gets up to 66 degrees! We can wish.

3/11/08, 1:19 AM

I've never owned a green car. Yellow, black, blue, white, gold...never green. I did own a maroon car that got 40 mpg, though. Vintage 1984. That's better than most "hybrids"!

3/11/08, 5:52 AM

Costco on Debarr raised their as price ...they are are at $3.169 now. Just filled up yesterday!

3/11/08, 8:32 AM

So my worth has increased as those prices go up...I am saving my husband the high expense of day care, the cost of restaurant fees and gratuities, laundress wages and maid service fees.

So wonder what the cost of dog food is running...with a 16 dog team...traveling at 6mph...I could make it to Homer in two days....what a great excuse to leave LA early for the up coming Memorial Weekend...may have to put skate boards on my sled...but that may increase my speed...so maybe I could do it in a day an a half.

3/11/08, 8:47 AM

Hey dad...did you see that the trail breaker was gassing his sled up in elim...and the thing caught on fire??? So much for bib number 0.....lol

okay...so we discussed the end...Mackey is going to make it to White Mountain first...King right on his heels...when they leave Buser will be right behind....now that is something to watch for...what if he passes them both up along the way...his team is rested from the slow speeds they ran in the beginning...and his record speed for this leg of the race is 11.5mph....will be interesting....

3/11/08, 9:07 AM

Mackey caught up with bib 0....you may still lose that bet...hehehehehehehehe

3/11/08, 9:09 AM

Buser is going to have to kick inthe after burner, don't forget, even if he catches up with Kingand Mackey at White Mountian, this is still a mandantory rest stop so he has to put inhis time while the other two head up the trail. I don't see it anythng but a two man race at this point, Mackey and King. Mackey should get a bout an hour head start out of White Mountain, he is jsut now getting there and King is downthe trail six miles or an hour for him to reach white Moutain. The question sis, is a hour enough lead for Mackey? My guess, unless he has been dogging it with his 12 dogs, King should catrch up and over take him. My bet is still that bid #0 will get to Nome first. I will have to verify his status, had not heard about the fire and I know you have midled me before on this race.

3/11/08, 9:19 AM

lol...me midled you? oh yah...right!!!! lol Mackey is at this moment sitting with bib 0....probably having coffee....

3/11/08, 9:31 AM

http://iditarod.aprn.org/

radio coverage of the race.

3/11/08, 8:58 PM

Lance Mackey is going to win...oh yea and I blogged...thanks have a goodnight

3/11/08, 10:48 PM

Post a Comment