"Never Forget"  

Posted by Stan Harrington


On Saturday morning, I had the opportunity to watch the "Christening" of the U.S.S. New York (LPD-21) in New Orleans. Dotty England, wife of Deputy Secretary of Defense, was the Ships Sponsor and conducted the ceremonial commissioning. On hand, were several thousand spectators including the families of those lost on 9/11 as well as representatives of the firefighters and law enforcement officers involved in 9/11.
The ship was on the drawing board, prior to the terrorists attacks on 9/11, however, the ships name had not yet been chosen. Following the attacks,the Governor of New York asked that the ship be named the U.S.S. New York. The bow of the ship is constructed out of 7.5 tons of steel that was salvaged from the "Twin Towers". In a normal Christening Ceremony, the bottle of champagne is broken across the bow of the ship, however, for the New York, two steel towers were temporarily mounted to the bow to represent the Twin Towers. Her bow is not only made out of "Twin Tower Steel" but during her construction in New Orleans, she was damaged by Hurricane Katrina which delayed her Christening.
The U.S.S. New York is a Amphibious Assault Dock, having a crew complement of approximately 300 and a landing force of approximately 800 U.S. Marines. She is capable of launching Expeditionary Fighting Vehicles, Landing Craft, Air Cushioned Landing Craft, MV-22 Osprey aircraft as well as a variety of helicopters. She is 684 feet long and 105 feet wide at the beam.
Several other things about the U.S.S. New York is unique. She is the sixth ship of the U.S. Navy to be named for the State of New York. One of those ships was a battleship, U.S.S. New York (BB-34), oddly enough, the keel of this battleship was laid on September 11, 1911, exactly ninety years to the day before the World Trade Center was attacked. The prospective Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. New York is Captain F. Curtis Jones, a native of New York City.
The Secretary of the Navy announced on September 9, 2004 that two sister ships of the U.S.S. New York will be constructed. They will be named the Arlington and Somerset, in commemoration of the places two of the other planes used in the attack came down, Somerset, Pennsylvania and Arlington, Virginia.
The U.S.S. New York (LPD-21) will join the fleet in 2009, I wish her the traditional Navy Salute, "Fair Winds, Following Seas, and God Speed".

This entry was posted on March 1, 2008 at Saturday, March 01, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

15 comments

Normally, the name of states is reserved for the names of Submarines,however, the Gov. of New York requested a "waiver" on this policy so a surface ship could carry the name, it was approved by the Department of the Navy. Originally, Battle Ships were the only ones named after States, however, following the decommission of the U.S.S. New Jersey and the end of the era for battleships, the policy was changed to name submarines after states.

3/2/08, 12:49 AM

Seems that you're FULL of educational value!.(a clue?). 7.5 METRIC tons is over 16,000 lbs - for JUST the bow stem, it's a good cutting edge to lead the way. Amphibious assault dock (LPD class) - meaning to launch amphibious vehicles.

3/2/08, 7:22 AM

Wow, what a great story! I would feel honored to be part of that crew or even have a tour!

3/2/08, 8:18 AM

Sounds recycled...lol...impressive but on the other hand...could it be jinxed? Seems there are just to many coincidences with New York City...and then Hillary deciding it is her home town.

sounds like an impressive and productive ship...

3/2/08, 9:15 AM

Brings a tear to my eye. I'm glad their on my side! I fly my flag with pride!

3/3/08, 8:56 AM

I posted

3/3/08, 7:05 PM

I am accutely aware that you posted, have been there, commented and now trying to take a nap but you woke me up when you commented.

3/3/08, 8:10 PM

Donald started a myspace for the USA...it is pretty neat this blog would go well on it...maybe you could be a guest writer for him...he has some media viewing....maybe a new political career is in the making for you...someday...Stan Harrington...for President!!! I would vote for you...your fair, a good story teller, and have a positive heart...my hero.

3/3/08, 8:22 PM
Anonymous  

Hey Grandpa I am creating an myspace page to show support to the troops. And I was wondering if I could steal your story and post it on my myspace. I will give you credit for it.

3/3/08, 8:24 PM

Donald, Stealing is not right, you should never steal - bad, very bad thing to do! I donot mind if you use my posting, apppreciate you asking before hand. Just get the name right, that is S t a n H a r r i n g t o n.

3/3/08, 8:42 PM

Donald...dont forget the spaces...Dad...how was that king crab? Did you dip it in butter with garlic? mmmm

3/3/08, 8:49 PM

Hey everyone it is Donny I had to create a now blog because google wouldn't allow me to create an account. That tells how long it has been since I posted last. Anyways I am back and relink me

3/3/08, 9:04 PM

Thanks S t a n H a r r i n g t o n

3/3/08, 10:07 PM

Better beleiveit, butter, a little garlic and touch of lemon. guess I will have to eat the other half of the crab tomorrow.

3/3/08, 10:15 PM

mmmmm crack it for me please...i hate that part...

3/4/08, 1:26 PM

Post a Comment