"Spring" Forward  

Posted by Stan Harrington



Went out to dinner to celebrate the last day of winter this past evening. Had one of the better Prime Rib dinners that I have had in a long time at the Anchor River Inn in beautiful downtown Anchor Point. It is good to have the last of the winter behind us and into spring. Although, it is snowing lightly and the wind is gusting at about 40 mph, but they told me "spring forward" so this must be spring!

After a big dinner and returning home, before I settled in for a nap I set my alarm clock for 1:30 a.m. so I could get up and have all my clocks set to forward one hour at the stroke of 2:00 a.m. All of the digital clocks, wall clocks, DVD players, VCR players, microwave, stove, oven, coffee pot, two cars, and three wrist watches were synchronized. At 1:57 a.m., I move rapidly from one clock to the next, tapping the set switch one each. The clocks on the two cars were the tough ones, similar to running the marathon, especially after forgetting to put on my shoes or my clothes. At 2:02, I had completed my run, although two minutes late, if the government wants it done any quicker, they can send help next year. Completing, I checked out blog land, everyone was asleep so I hope all of you wake up late. The computers do it automatically as does the cell phone, but I just remembered, I forgot to set the clocks forward on the three digital cameras. Now all our photos and videos are going to be an hour later than we actually take them, we will classify it as time lapse photography.

Do you know why we have daylight savings time? The old wives tale is that originally it was done so the farmers could get into the fields and hour earlier. Yeah, like that is really important to Alaska farmers when they still have snow covered fields. In 2006, Daylight Saving Time was mandated by law. I guess all of you who did not move your clocks up at 2:00 a.m. are law violators, I am going to turn all of you in. It became law in order that it would save energy by making the daylight last an additional hour. However, typical of the professor profession, a couple of them did some research and discovered that it actually wastes energy. The two professors found that by moving the clocks forward, it actually increases electricity usage. Do you know what the cost is each year to businesses to set clocks forward one hour. Again, two professors did the research and it was on the news last night. Employees spend 20 seconds to two minutes setting clocks forward in their workplace. Taking into consideration, the average wage scale, it costs 1.7 billion dollars! Next year, I am going to contract out my services to set clocks forward for the local businesses, I figure I can do it cheaper than their employees.

Actually, "daylight" saving time is something of a misnomer. We do not really save any daylight because the relationship of the Sun and the Earth does not change, no matter what our clocks say. Here I sit, the only person that I know who is actually observing daylight savings time. If you are wondering, it is not working, it is just as dark this morning at 4:32 a.m. as it was yesterday at 4:32 a.m.

If you are wondering, at 4:33 a.m. (DST) Macky and King are on the trail to Unakleet. Mackey is either taking a nap or shut off his GPS according to GPS map he is not moving. If he is not moving, he should be because King is trailing in behind him by 22 miles and traveling at 5 mph. Hopefully they set their clocks forward, would hate to see them get to Nome an hour late.

This entry was posted on March 9, 2008 at Sunday, March 09, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 comments

"Time lapse photography" - how original! Sorry we weren't there for you at 2, buddy. I DID wake up late by about an hour, but could have slept in if I had been up with you.
Thanks for the clock shock. Now, the resetting of time shall commence but will cut into my blogging. It's tough enough to find time to blog with a "day job" without losing an hour. It seems a lot like time travel, no? Damn those quantum physicists and their ideas!

3/9/08, 7:56 AM

lol...daylight savings time is so lazy people like me can sleep and extra hour in the spring..and get screwed out of one in the fall...lol

Thanks to modern technology...most of my clocks do it themselves...then I don't even know when it happens...therefore I could have lost that extra hour of sleep...but somebody thought to do this on a Sunday...so it did not matter anyway.

3/9/08, 9:41 AM

Hey I can blog again...I will have some useful info later tonight on my blog...Keep checking in...see later

3/9/08, 7:18 PM

Alright dad...here we go...Mackey has left Unalakleet...I am going to guess that King follows suite shortly although he may rest up a couple more hours...

So according to past races...and the way this one is going I am going to now forecast my views of how his race may end...

Mackey will rest his dogs for five hours at white mountain. He will probably take a couple of small short rests on the way...then over that hump and across the frozen tundra...to saftey he will go.

King on the other hand will rest up at Unalakleet...then well race through to the mountain...taking a short break before he makes his dash...

At the finish line...neck and neck...may even be a tie...first one in history I think...first and second will be Jeff and Lance unless something real bad happens. and I am going to guess the winners will arrive in Nome sometime early Tuesday morning.

3/9/08, 7:33 PM

I am predicting that King will take a longer rest at Unakleet and try to make White Moutain with very brief layovers, just long enough to feed dogs. Mackey, is going to take advbantage of the night and cool weather, he will run non stop to Safety, taking 1 - 2 hour naps and rest periods for his dogs. They have a mandatory rest stop at Safety for the final dash, Mackey will be the first into Safety, out befoe King has completed his manadatory rest and have a slight lead, but long enough that Mackey will be on front sreet by himself and 11 miles ahead of King.

3/9/08, 9:23 PM

Belay my last prediction, it does not count. Went back and analyzed the data, I overlooked one thing. Mack and king are both onthe trail again, King is tracking Mackey by five miles. From where Mackey is right now, it is 148 miles to Safety. Both teams are going to have to take longer breaks. Weathr is changing, front moving into the area, from the doppler it looks like slush (snow/rain) which is going to be hard onthe dogs as the trail will be soft. Mackey is now running with a four dog disadvantage, he is running 12 and King is till got all 16 cylinders. King has averaged a higher speed through the last three checks points than Mackey. If I wre a betting man, I would place the winning chip on King, but I still think Mackey has a couple of tricks left that may equalize the disadvantage that he has. The cross of the arm looms ahead, anything can happen on the ice flows, Libby Riddles won her race by crossing and holding on the arm through a blizzard while the otehr races played it safe.

3/9/08, 9:39 PM

Mackey has had a rough race...even if he does take second...which it looks that way...but he does not tend to follow the norm either...but I would not mind King winning...I am going to guess that Buser will announce retirement when he arrives in Nome...having an older racer win...would be cool...as the new generation of musher's is showing to be real good...and the old ones are retiring...as I said when this race started...there is a lot at stake for so many of them...have you checked out any of their web sites...many have them and there is some neat stuff on them...learning a lot about this race... mackey's web site has links to his father...a founder...Reddingtons has some real neat stories of Iditarods past...Buser has a very updated site on dogs and breeding as well as stories of Past Iditarods....I am soooo addicted.

3/9/08, 10:27 PM

Noticed this morning that Hans Gatt and Paul Gebhardt made it to Unalakleet before Kjetil Backen...wonder what is happening with him...he started this race strong...is he petering out now? and when did Gatt catch up...hehe...first and second is pretty much a given unless something real nasty happens...but third is now starting to be an interesting feet. Seavey Buser, Swenson, Anderson, and Iten...all great mushers...all running from Unalakleet now....think any of them will catch up to Lance and Jeff?

3/10/08, 7:02 AM

white moutain is a mandantory 8 hour rest. Saftey is only a few miles from Nome and the road is open and plowed to there. (its a real bar) there will be crowds of people (locals parked in cars) watching the last few miles from Saftey

3/10/08, 9:41 AM

King and Macky is on the ice of Norton Bay, King has a two mile lead and both doing 6 mph as of 10:00 am. Checked the doppler, the weather is clear so the race for 1st is going to come down to the one that gets a break by taking a chance and pushing himself and his dogs to the test.

3/10/08, 10:06 AM

Father it appears that Mr. King is floating away on an ice chunk or something...no speed noted...but he is going backwards on my computer...just wondering if he is doing the same on yours...lol...but my phone wont let me call you.

3/10/08, 5:42 PM

Post a Comment