My Front Yard  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Played in my front yard today, this is the summit of Mt. Iliamna, elevation 10,013 feet. The summit picture was taken from my yard, approximately 37 miles from the base of the mountain.
This is the base of Mt. Iliamna, noteworthy that timberline
is not very high on the mountain.
Full view of Mt. Iliamna from our yard.
Mt. Redoubt, elevation 10,194 feet
and approximately 45 miles from our front yard.

Photo worth a thousand words, courtesy of his mother.
For those that do not know this young man, this is Hunter Stanley Harrington,
future Commanding Officer
of a U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier.

This entry was posted on March 17, 2008 at Monday, March 17, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 comments

great pictures...Hunter will make a great navy boy

3/17/08, 8:57 PM

I believe that should be referred to as Navy man.

3/17/08, 10:11 PM

Proud and respectable salute on that young man. I still owe him a boat...
his train still works, though, and has a little plastic penguin for the engineer.
Good shots of the hills yonder, too.

3/18/08, 3:18 AM

Looks like you may need a level bubble on you tri-pod/camera... with that powerful of a zoom(impressive, by the way), the smallest tilt will throw your horizon into a diagonal.

3/18/08, 6:47 AM

Very astute she wolf! I have so many bubbles on my tripod, I could slap a 90 with it. The problem existed was the slope that I was shooting from, one leg of the tripod was extending fully, the second was two feet long and the 3rd was 4.3 feet long coupled with the fact that it was about 20 degrees - perhaps I could have got all the bubbles aligned if I would have got my lazer level out, along with my sexton, and lazer tape measure. I was trying to avoid the power lines and the cow moose that also occupied the area. I guess that is all the excuses I have, except - it was not my fault!

3/18/08, 8:00 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot the tide was going out so all the water was flowing out of the inlet making it look like it was going down hill! If it has not been for the tidfe which I had no control, the picture would have been level.

3/18/08, 8:02 AM

I thought he'd become a trucker.

3/18/08, 9:06 AM

You should have had Uncle Bill there, he can slap a 90 like no other. I thought I was being helpful, but it sounds like you know what you are doing. I personally shoot a lot of photo's crooked, for the effect, so I shouldn't talk.

3/18/08, 2:32 PM

That Butch is one handsome little man...with a salute to be proud of...as for the pictures...they are covered in snow!!! Get rid of the snow...I want to camp when my Yukon is finally repaired.....dumb thing!

3/18/08, 3:54 PM

What is wrong with your Yukon or is it Suburban? Do you know a good mechanic? If not, let me know I have a couple that I could refer you to. Should have bought a Ford, go see Cal!

3/18/08, 4:56 PM

Buy a frieghtliner they run even better.

3/22/08, 7:15 PM

Post a Comment