Why Hasn't He Written  

Posted by Stan Harrington

In my early years as a father, once in a great while my children would require a little guidance in personal responsibility and the accepted behavior among siblings. Having cleared and landscaped our property in Colorado, I had reserved a small pile of the famed Colorado Rocky Mountains. Perhaps, the pile contained two wheel barrow loads of small stones neatly piled to the side of our outbuilding. When warranted, which was a regular basis with their age group and gender, it would be their task to move the rocks to a new location. If the problem persisted at the completion of the task, they would then return the rocks to their original spot. With today standards, perhaps it would be judged as cruel and mistreatment, but it was effective. Today, as adults, they laugh about the rock pile and how often they had the opportunity to re-bond as family members while moving rocks. It was only recently that I learned that one of my children uses this model of of behavioral science with their own children.

I love rocks, they are such a useful item. You can build anything out of them, they last forever. I love looking at the rock formations that mother nature has carved throughout the world, some of the most scenic rock formations are in our United States. Over the years, I have built a great number of rock fences, flower beds, rock gardens, and sidewalks. However, it was only recently that I relived my children's childhood and had a few days on the "rock pile". I am now well disciplined and have my head right with the world.
It all commenced with the mutual agreement with my wife that we would give our landscaping a "new look" and at the same time cut back on the size of some of our flower beds. This involved the movement of about ten tons of armour rock from our existing flower beds. We dug up rocks, strained on a few to move them, and for those that were to large to move by hand, we reverted to towing them with our reliable snow plow truck to the rock storage area. Most people when moving and stacking rocks throw them into a large pile. As a hint, if you ever intend to use them again you should grade them by size.

This Is The Main Storage Area, Pile One And Two. This Site Contains Those Rocks In The Large And Medium Grade Size Rocks.

This Site Is Pile Number Three And Contains Medium To Small Rocks. Pile Number Four Is Not Pictured, They Have Been Transported To the "Hole In The Wall" For A Future Landscaping Project.

For The Past Ten Years, This Has Been The Location For All Of These Rocks. You Do Not See Those Rocks In The Columbine And Lupine Bed. They Have To Stay To Preserve The Flowers.

Construction Of The New Flower Beds Have Commenced. Since This Picture Was Taken, This Phase Has been Completed. Weather Permitting, Final Construction Should Be Completed By Wednesday.

During the cold months of this winter, I will most likely develop a concept on what I am going to do with all my rocks and construction will commence in the Spring of 2009. I look forward to that, but yet this year, I still have one more large rock garden to build, so once again, I will move the rocks and dig them back into the earth from hence they were given birth. I am so disciplined.

This entry was posted on June 15, 2008 at Sunday, June 15, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

13 comments

Click on the pictures to enlarge and see some deatil, but please do not enlarge the rocks. They are large enough. Thanks to the Bear Clan for the use of their four wheeler and trailer for transportation of most of the rocks. If I would have used my head, my youngest son, grandson, and grand daughter will be home in a few days to visit, we should have waited. A family that hauls rockes together stays together.

6/16/08, 12:17 AM

Hummm.... if there were pictures... I would click them!

6/16/08, 8:41 AM

What happened to my pictures, they wre there when I checked my site after posting. Something must have et them.

6/16/08, 9:06 AM

I haul rocks for a living now, thats right, you can haul them on a flatbed if you have enuff straps

6/17/08, 3:58 AM

Did Heath see Clara? Is she still married to that horse trader-Bob Allen who ain't got sense enuff to duck. I named the remaining horses at the Lonesome Duck-the black mare is Laurie Darlin, the bay is Clara. Both of em are whores-pellet whores.

6/17/08, 4:04 AM

Tell everyone at the Hole to keep their powder dry and a gun handy-Blue Duck may just be riding in....

6/17/08, 4:05 AM

Cindy Darlin's grandson is staying with us-mandatory viewing of Lonesome Dove was in order-I won't tolerate no loafers, no sir.

6/17/08, 4:06 AM

Good to see pictures. Nice flower beds, also.
Don't wear yourself out too much to fish the tides come Saturday. The Anchor is open all year - right?!

6/17/08, 6:13 AM

Speaking of Lonesome Dove... any one know why we don't rent Pigs?

Nice flower beds. You can haul some of those rocks north for me, here in LA we can't find nice rock like that!
You inspired me to re-plant my rocks around my flower beds. Maybe I will post a few photo's.

6/17/08, 8:56 AM

Good rocks are hard to find, those that I do have were imported from Seldovia! Ranger Bill was not kididng about hauling rocks, me hauled a load from Telluride to Montrose. He called a few minutes ago from Montana, hauled a load or rocks up there and going to haul aload of rocks back to Montrose, sole purpose of the rocks is landscaping business! Maybe I will puty my rocks on E-Bay. Wood work is all done now, backfilling has commenced. Tomorrow will put the cap on the timbers, finish the backfilling and leveling with the first flowers to go intothe ground on Thursday. Can't wait to start on the the new rock garden, looked at flowering bushes and trees today.
But first, Bear and I have to go catcha fish inthe morning. Last day of the season.

6/17/08, 8:52 PM

"We don't rent pigs", "Well, we don't rent pigs" "what about all those latin words?" Gus reads the sign, Call "see you don't even know what they mean, they may be inviting someone to come in and rob us" Gus, "well, anybody that can read Latin comes in and robs us, for once in my life I would like to shoot an educated man". No further reference made to renting pigs.

6/17/08, 10:06 PM

Emergency opener!!
The kings are coming in!!

6/17/08, 10:08 PM

I guess someone needs to read a book one in a while! I just finished reading "Comanche Moon"... towards the end the rangers are talking leaving rangering, a livery, is what they dream about. Ol' Gus reconds he can rent chickens, goats, and sheep to the traveling business men. The chickens so they can have fresh eggs, the goat to eat the garbage, a sheep to sleep next to, to repel bugs. But you can't rent pigs cause they are smarter then men and they may eat the customer while he sleeps. You can't rent pigs cause they are a liability. Ol' Gus, never know when he is joking.

6/18/08, 8:32 AM

Post a Comment