Safe Return To Paradise  

Posted by Stan Harrington


We have once again made a trip to our favorite metropolitan area and safely returned to our little piece of paradise over looking the river, just in time to enjoy a few snow flakes this evening. Just like any trip to Las Anchorage, the trip was eventful. Did not realize it until a few minutes after our return home, but shortly after our cruise through Sears Mall it was locked down by the police.

From the news sources, evidently a premature withdrawal was made from a bank by a gunman and he escaped towards Sears Mall on foot. One news source, I believe Channel 2, described him as a man dressed in ladies clothing including a purse. Had I lingered just a few more minutes in the tools section enjoying the fantasy about a new "chop saw", we may have been caught up in the drag net as well as the lock down at the Mall. Glad I left my "man bag" in the car.


We did have the opportunity to meet the doctor that is treating our son for MS. Ironically, she and I played together on the beaches of the Homer Spit, the summer that her father started construction on Lands End. I had not seen her since the summer of 1955. Evidently, I did not leave a lasting impression on her as she did not remember me, but considering she was only five years old I can understand. I was much older, I was ten years old!


Although, way to short, we did really enjoyed our short visit with all the family in the LA area. It was good to see everyone and spend a little time together. I would like to thank my son in law, the Bull Buff for serving me my morning coffee while I was still in bed! Despite, it being 4:30 a.m. it was really good coffee. Just prior to going out the door to work, he even made a fresh pot for me to enjoy while I watched the early morning news with Fox and Friends.


However, the big surprise came from our granddaughter Taylor. She showed us her domestic side and made the most delicious Manicotti for dinner. It was great dinner, thank you Taylor, it was very special and very, very good. When can we expect a second batch? The dessert was very good as well, I went to get seconds for a midnight snack, but it was gone! I neglected to ask, but were those locally grown apples in the desert?


The next time I venture north, I am going to have a language dictionary. Stopped by Wally World on Bensen, a treat that I do not always look forward to. While shopping in the men's section, I was treated to along conversation between two employees that were stocking shelves and I did not understand one word they said. I so wanted to interrupt them, point to a customer and tell them that I thought the customer was an undercover agent for the immigration service. Although, they were within two feet of me and I had to reach around them to look at merchandise, they never offered to move nor ask if they could be of assistance. Evidently, the bank robber was smarter than I, he headed to Sears Mall and not Wally World. I would guess if a show of force of police cars showed up at Wally World, half their employees would head for the back doors. My last trip to Wally World on Benson.


The "Kodak" moment of the trip was on both the north bound and south bound portion of the trip, we saw more Swan's than I have even seen in the area. All of the ponds along Turnagain Arm had a few but the big marsh outside of Portage had large flocks. We also saw them at the higher elevations on Summit Lake. A magnificent bird but difficult to get them to pose for a good picture.




This entry was posted on October 21, 2008 at Tuesday, October 21, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Good to hear you made a safe return.
Actually, hitting wally world for cash might pay better than any banking institution. Learn to speak spanish or korean and fall in with the mass exodus thru' the back door when the police show up. They wouldn't mess with a mexican - LA is a "safe zone".

10/22/08, 5:08 AM

John and Taylor once got caught in a situation like that at the Sears Mall, only it was the bank in the mall getting robbed.
Glad to hear you made it home and stopped to look at the swans.
The apple were store bought, our apples are still in jars lined up nicely in the pantry.

10/22/08, 4:38 PM

Post a Comment