Summer Is Not A Fleeting Thought  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Hearing it from a reputable source, I understand the my family and friends in the Las Anchorage metropolitan area are receiving a little snowfall tonight. I am so sorry, that the fluttering white stuff marks the end of your summer. Now all you have to look forward to is six months of snow and cold. Gone are the days that you can walk among your flowers, pausing long enough to sniff the fragrance or take daily photos of the development of your apples. Although, our summer did seem a little short this year, the sights and fragrances of summer continues to linger in the little village on the river.

This past summer, my flowers were beautiful but I was disappointed in the annuals that we did plant. Partially our fault due to late planting because of landscaping changes but I blame the "cooler than normal" summer for the most part. But there is always a silver lining to every cloud. We are now enjoying what we should have been enjoying in August and early September. The Livingston Daisy is one of my favorite annual flowers. Their vivid color and sun tracking abilities can cheer the soul. Due to the lateness of the planting and cool summer, our Livingston Daisies are just now coming into their full maturity. Despite several nights of frost as well as several nights of freezing, the little Livingston Daisies have proven to me that they are not pansies.

These pictures were taken this past Sunday evening. Today, they were again in full bloom despite having an inch of ice on the puddles and ponds. To all of you you have awakened to winter this morning, I will will be thinking of you as I take my morning coffee on the deck, admiring the hardiness of my little daises and the continuance of our summer.



This entry was posted on October 6, 2008 at Monday, October 06, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Pretty - yes, but what is prettier than a few inches of fresh snow and the pure, dust-free air to breathe?

my board is getting waxed.

10/7/08, 5:15 AM

Flowers, green grass, birds chirping, sunshine, flowing water, just to name a few, but alas, at 11:30 pm we got our snow and awoke this mornng to find about an inch laying over the landscape. Six tanks of propane and my weed burner, we are going to revert back to summer as soon as I finish artificially melting the snow.

10/7/08, 10:16 AM

DEspite the the water laden snowfall, the little pansies poked out ofthe snow today and burst into full blossoms. They are not goingto give up their mission of keeping me hyped up that winter is not coming on.

10/7/08, 11:59 PM

Post a Comment