"Just Say No"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

A good number of years ago, the federal government commenced a program which targeted our school age children. Although, the "Just Sat No" program was commendable and hopefully it kept a few of our young people from experimenting with drugs. The "Just Say No" is now in our historical past although some schools continue to post signs as being "Drug Free Zones". However, the problem continues at epidemic proportions.

Over the years, we have seen a variety of programs established to protect our younger generation from themselves. The majority of these programs mean well, although their lifetime and effectiveness has been very limited. When raising my own children, I did not have all the answers. With modern technology and what our children have access to, I don't even understand the questions in this new era. Although, I do believe that all lessons in life must begin in the home. Quite honestly, I do not trust the bureaucrats and even the teachers in the school system to know what is best for our children.

Hi, my name is Stan and I am an addict to candy. I love candy, I have always loved candy, I will always love candy. I eat candy and even on occasion I dream about candy! Not always having time to eat a meal when I was working, I have lived on a candy diet for days. I graduated from high school in 1963 weighing 165 pounds at 6'1"in height. Today I weigh 160 pounds, wearing the same size of pants that I did in high school. I have never exceeded 175 pounds.
In the news today, U.S. schools with vending machines that sell candy and soda to students will become history if a new law is passed. In their place, we will see machines that provide "healthier options" to combat childhood obesity. Senators Tom Harkin and Alaska's own, Lisa Murkowski will introduce a bill in the Senate to establish "a common sense nutrition standards" for food and beverages sold in school vending machines, stores and similar outlets. Just that quote is scary, when did our bureaucrats ever exhibit "common sense"?

I know a lot of our schools have already dumped their vending machines to "protect our children". I know they know what is best for our children. However, they just do not know children. Children are much smarter than most adults give them credit for. Cutting off their supply of candy and soft drinks from a primary source to protect them from themselves is not using common sense. Go to their lockers and take a look inside, you will most likely find a very well supplied candy and junk food storage unit. Although, the elimination of the vending machines has taught some of the students the finer points of entrepreneurial spirit. They have found an increasing market without any tax liabilities for the goods that they sell.

I have a great idea for the war on combating childhood obesity. Shut off the television, computer, take away the cell phone, IPod, and give them a candy bar. Then go outside and play with them or something as simple as going for a walk or cutting a cord of firewood. It is amazing how a little exercise and even work will eliminate a few pounds. Following this brief exercise period, sit down, have a nice long talk and enjoy a candy bar together. Candy is good for the soul. I think I will go make a batch of fudge!

This entry was posted on April 30, 2009 at Thursday, April 30, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 comments

Watch out! We will soon see dealers in school--selling candy at an overpriced rate and making a healthy profit.

4/30/09, 9:15 PM

School shootings over an energy drink. News at 11.

4/30/09, 9:17 PM

Candy is not an issue with me either, thanks for the genes, I will loose weight if I only eat crap. But really, it's not what we eat its how much.

I understand the school putting out healthier options, but now its getting out of hand. For instance, Native Hospital has taken the soda vending machines from the hospital, away from the staff, not just the patients.

5/1/09, 7:18 AM

A lot of our fine LA schools have already limited the goods you will find in a machine: "Vita" water, water, flavored water, distilled water, watered down juice, and food for the birds. Did I mention water?
Imagine the small profit margins trying to keep interest in the vending machines staying at school with only bird seed and flavored water! They may as well pull them out.

5/2/09, 7:35 AM

Yah vending machines full of water!! We picked up all those bottles in the woods today.

Hi I am Shana...I too am addicted to candy...now I blame my daddy...and he has confessed...it all starts in the home...anyone got any chocolate??

5/3/09, 1:48 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

5/18/09, 5:03 PM

Nine days shy of a month?...tsk, prattler. you really shouldn't be so busy...

5/21/09, 11:25 PM

At least good old Montrose High School still sells candy at the Tomahawk shop!!

6/2/09, 5:36 PM

You DO realize it has been almost 3 weeks since I last commented?...Do you think the Doc coulda broke yer blogger?
We'll see you this weekend and give you something to mention.

6/9/09, 10:25 PM

Nearing two (2) months since posting? That Doc HAD to have broke yer blogger...

7/21/09, 3:55 PM

you're still not setting any "no-post" records, you know....

8/7/09, 5:54 AM

Post a Comment