"Blue Belle From Hell"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

After driving 584.7 miles from Whitehorse, YT to Fort Nelson, BC, yesterday, we looked forward to a good night sleep after a little dinner. We checked into the Blue Belle Motel, the same motel and room that we stayed in two years ago.


Completing my nightly logging and blogging chores, I settled in for a long nap at 10:30 pm. At 11:oo pm, I was awakened by the new tenants upstairs, talking loud and stomping around. I am a patient person and knew that they to would settle down in a little time. At 11:30 pm, their guests arrived, after several loud bangs on their door and a lot of yelling, it was finally answered. Then the screaming started and what I assume was a fight between the men. At midnight, I was still being patient. In short time, I realized I was wrong and picked up the phone to call the office. Registering my complaint, the desk clerk said he would handle it and move them. When the phone rang upstairs, more screaming commenced and it sounded as if one of women was being beat up. After twenty minutes, it continued. It was at this point, we decided to "check out". After loading our luggage, I called the front desk to let them know we were leaving with no answer. Again, being patient, I walked over to the office. Evidently the manager was peeking out the window and saw me coming as he opened the front door. His response, "didn't they quiet down", my response to him, "no, we are checking out and want a refund", not only the $114.00 that we paid but also the extra $23.00 they charged for "Dutch". He agreed and even turned on the gas pumps so I could top off the tank. The next motel, 20o miles down the road in Fort St John.

We drove through the night, arriving in Fort St John at about 5:30 am after dodging a few deer and a snowstorm on Pink Mountain. Deciding that it was useless to kill the day in a motel, we took a short cat nap in the truck. At 7:00 am, we topped off the gas tank and headed to Prince George planning to check into a motel and rest the remaining day. A beautiful drive from the Alcan into Prince George, beautiful agricultural area along the Peace River. A very large population of Whitetail deer, but the bucks were all hiding.


Arriving in Prince George, we once again decided to go onto Jasper Provincial Park, just another 200 miles. One hundred miles later, we came into McBride, British Columbia. The cutest little town, very neat and clean. Just a hundred miles from our destination, we decided to call it a day. The day ended after driving 632.2 miles since midnight last night and 2,129.5 miles from Anchor Point.


Tomorrow, we go into Jasper Park and then directly into Banff Park, a trip that I have been looking forward to for the past two years. It should be great and maybe, I will even take some pictures!

If the posting was to verbose, in short if you ever visit Fort Nelson, BC, I cannot recommend staying at the Blue Belle Inn.

This entry was posted on October 3, 2009 at Saturday, October 03, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

Well now that sounds like fun! Heath just talked to Terry a few minutes ago so I figured I would check for a post!
that is quite the price to pay for some evening entertainment...sure hope the poor manger or other persons survived the night at the Blue Belle!

10/3/09, 6:11 PM

sounds like your making progress...and i remember my pass word. Be safe and enjoy the trip. Love you lots.

10/3/09, 6:16 PM

It could have been worse, a nite at Prophet River would have completed that treat, Maybe the residents of Prophet River were upstairs... Glad you enjoyed the cutoff at Charley Lake to the Prince George road. Definitely deer infested. I have just come out of Prescott, AZ with a load bound for Ogden and days off. And yes I blog this from none other than Beaver.

10/3/09, 9:48 PM

You're burning daylight... if you hadn't been sittin up all night reading the Good Book and talkin
filosophy-you might be on the road by now...

10/4/09, 6:39 AM

Sounds as if the manager of the Blue Belle was a nice, understanding chap with no gazoongas (balls) to oust the vagrants. It might be worthy of a fine night's sleep if the same tenants upstairs don't actually reside there.

10/4/09, 7:59 AM

Kym said you drove all night... I questioned that... but now i understand. I hope the lady in the upstairs room of the Blue Belle is alright!

10/4/09, 9:39 AM

Wow. Sounds like a miserable evening, but it also sounds like there is lots to look forward to.

10/4/09, 9:11 PM

Post a Comment