A Great Day  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Pulling out of Granby, Colorado we were looking forward to our drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. We had heard that we would have a great opportunity to see some Elk. After a twenty mile drive, we arrived at the gate to the entrance to the park, only to discover a sign that read, Road Closed Ten Miles ahead. We figured that the ten miles would not be as good as the total forty mile drive, but we were going to have to back track so we decided to go as far as the Park Rangers would allow. Going in we did see a cow and two calves cross the road in front of us. Reaching the road block, we turned around to retrace our route.

Catching a glimpse of a herd of elk quite some distance from the road, we pulled over to at least look at them through the binoculars. One single elk stood of by itself, assuming it was a bull I got out of the truck to see if I could telephoto shoot him. It was a long shot, about four hundred and fifty yards. By rules, you cannot leave the highway to take photos or I would have stalked him. Then I heard a sound that I have not heard in many years, the bugle of a Bull Elk. It is such a great sound, then an answer to that call, then another. We were there for at least twenty minutes and the bugling continued. Most of them sounded like bulls back in the timber trying to entice the cows that was with the bull in the meadow. The bugling and grunting was great. The bull I shot from a long distance turned out to be larger than I estimated. By enlarging the photo I was able to count at least six on each side to make him a "Royal" with the possibility of being a seven pointer.
Back tracking to Granby, we then decided to drive north on Highway 125 and 14 which would take us through the Roosevelt National Forest on the northerly border of Rock Mountain National Park. "Susie" was working with us and told us to turn onto a county road which was gravel. Fearing she had made a mistake, we stopped and looked at a map and it was a short cut to Highway 14 from 125. This part of the state was flat and nothing but sagebrush, but the shortcut was only twelve miles and would save us forty, so we decided t take it.

Being raised in Alaska, I have seen thousands of Moose, bulls, cows, and calves. But what I saw today was amazing. We were in an area where it was 60,000 acres of sagebrush and rolling ridges. Over the ridge comes a Bull Moose, just wandering through he sagebrush and not in any great hurry. We sat and watch him for fifteen minutes, he never changed his pace or his course, a stand of Aspen Trees. If "Susie" had not taken this direction, we would have missed a opportunity that we will likely never see again in our lifetime. He was a decent bull, again had to do some long distance shooting to get a picture of him.

For those that think perhaps I had forgotten Terry and drove off without her, this is proof positive that she is still with me.


"Dutch" is also still tagging a long, enjoying the trip and all the new sights, smells, and sounds.

Having the highway blocked to us in the Rocky Mountain National Park in some sense was a good break. We saw some of the prettiest country and canyon driving that we have seen the entire trip. If you have find yourself in Fort Collins, just north of Denver, Highway 14 is a must trip. I will return to this area, not only for the scenery, wildlife, but a beautiful small, crystal clear trout stream. On this route, we spotted this old cabin. I could not resist stopping and walking the property, if this cabin could only talk the stories it could tell. For those readers of the "Hole In The Wall", I have a couple of more pictures posted on that site of this cabin.


As we headed for Nebraska, we also had the opportunity to visit the community that my wife's father grew up in, Raymer, Colorado which is also referred to as "New Raymer" on some maps. Being a small town, one cafe only we stopped to see where we could find some information since he graduated in 1939. The lady told us they had all the class photos on display in the community building. It was closed at the time, but she gave us the keys to the building, only in a small town would someone be so trusting. We did see his class picture when he was a senior in high school.

While in Raymer, I decided to get some work done on my truck, but this is the only garage I could find! When was the last Studebaker built?

"Welcome To Nebraska"
As of this evening, we are in Sidney, Nebraska just a few miles north of Raymer, Colorado and the home of "Cabela's with 4,863.2 miles behind us on this trip. It is a straight line drive from Raymer, Colorado to Sidney, Nebraska. Flat land driving with a speed limit of 70 miles per hour. Three miles into the State of Nebraska, I am following a pick-up truck at the same rate of speed. I check my rear view mirror and much to my surprise, there was a car following me with flashing red and blue lights. I pull to the right yield to him, but he pulled up in back of me. A nice officer, asked he if I knew how fast I was traveling and I honestly replied between 70 and 75. He then told me that he had me tagged at 75. No big deal, normally they will give a little at five over the limit. It was only then he told me the speed limit in Nebraska on that road was 60 miles per hour. Inviting me back to his car, he ran me through his computer, no traffic violations in ten years. Commended me for that feat and then wrote out a ticket to me for breaking the speed limit. Cost $123.00
So as a word of warning, if you are crossing from Colorado into Nebraska, watch for speed limit signs and their changes. He had a nice little trap set up as neither my wife nor I have any concept where he came from, he was not alongside the highway.
However, I hope the highway fund will find good use of my $123.00 because we were going to stop by Cabela's tomorrow and drop several hundred dollars on new fly rods and reels ~ now I will just tell them that I am "just looking" because I cannot afford it after my ticket. If my grandchildren are reading this, I was wrong, I did break the law, I will pay my fine.

This entry was posted on October 12, 2009 at Monday, October 12, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Bummer deal. I am sorry about the ticket. Our community here is known for its speeding tickets as well.

10/12/09, 9:05 PM

The state patrol here is also well hidden while sitting either in the middle of the two lanes of traffic but they also are a funny brown color so they are harder to pick out...there are also black cars.

10/13/09, 6:31 AM

And I figured everyone knew Trail Ridge Pass was closed most of the time....

10/14/09, 11:17 PM

Did you present Susie for his
top speed, avg speed verification.
Just could have disconnected it and handed it to him. Might have got him to second guess writing you the ticket.

10/14/09, 11:19 PM

well they should know plenty about your truck then.

10/16/09, 8:28 PM

uh...whats a trip with out a ticket to remind you of where you went...now on to important topics...thats snow!! the white stuff on the ground...leave it there please...and proof that Alaska is not the first state to see snow...

10/17/09, 11:17 AM

Haven't heard from you for some time. Hope you're having a good time. In our thoughts.

10/22/09, 12:21 PM

You STILL have some time to go before you match the "no-post era" you set earlier this year and a LONG time to beat others' standing record(s) of not posting!
i guess you could call this non-verbose?
still...we are not used to you being quiet for this long unless you've seen Jesus, on a mountain, out da winda...

while i have the free space to speak my mind,...

A small town prosecuting attorney called his first witness to the stand in a trial-a grandmotherly, elderly woman. He approached her and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know me?"

She responded, "Yes, I do know you Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a young boy. And frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs.

You think you're a rising big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you never will amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you."

The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do he pointed across the room and asked, "Mrs. Williams, do you know the defense attorney?"

She again replied, "Why, yes I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. I used to baby-sit him for his parents. And he, too, has been a real disappointment to me. He's lazy, bigoted, he has a drinking problem. The man can't build a normal relationship with anyone and his law practice is one of the shoddiest in the entire state. Yes, I know him."

At this point, the judge rapped the courtroom to silence and called both counselors to the bench. In a very quiet voice, he said with menace, "If either of you asks her if she knows me, you'll be in jail within 3 minutes!"

11/3/09, 4:25 PM

Post a Comment