Change Is Good  

Posted by Stan Harrington

The great thing about traveling with us, everything is subject to change, including routes.
Had an easy driving plan today, jump into and cut across the panhandle of Utah and enter Colorado at Rangley. Easy drive into Montrose from there if you go over Douglas Pass. However, just a touch out of our way to go through Flaming Gorge, beautiful area. Then Dinosaur National Park, disappointment the center where all the bones and information is at is closed for remodel, scheduled to open in 2011. Of course, that was coming from a lady ranger. When I asked her about wildlife in the park she old me I could expect to see a few Pronghorn Deer. Not familiar with that specie, I asked her if she meant Pronghorn Antelope. It was then she informed me that they were all the same!
The major change in plans was that we cut across northern Colorado to Craig, hoping to see some Pronghorn Deer. We turned south at Craig and down to Rifle. At Rifle, instead of going to Grand Junction, we went east to Glenwood Springs so we could visit Redstone Castle. Privately owned now and tours given only on Saturday and Sunday. We came over McClure Pass into Delta and finally arrived in Montrose. To late in the evening to roust the family, so we are camping out at a motel for tonight. Great trip today, the drive from Redstone Castle up though the Crystal River canyon was some of the prettiest country we have seen this trip. Fall colors are just past their peak at lower elevations.
The age old question that has bothered mankind, Does a Bear poop in the woods? I have no concept, however, I captured proof that young mule deer bucks do poop in the woods! In fact they squat like a little girly deer!



This mama Mule Deer, just wanted to get her babies away from mankind and they followed her lead.
I knew in time, if I were patient, I would get the Pronghorn Antelope that I wanted. Finally caught up with him in northern Colorado. He gave me a great pose, over his shoulder look exposing the size and shape of his horns. The blog picture does not do the shot justice, can't wait to get it home and put it on glossy paper and do a little cropping. Click on the picture to enlarge it to full size and it will show in more detail.



This entry was posted on October 7, 2009 at Wednesday, October 07, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

What a beautiful drive...i am dreaming of riding in the back seat starring out the window at the wonders of this world. Have fun with the family and dad...stay out of trouble.

10/8/09, 8:52 AM

Off home time, no sign of Stanley while I was in Grand Junction, left
afternoon of the 8th to return to SLC and my truck. On the road again. One more payment and my flatbed in Montrose will be mine.
It will likely become a very large and comfortable cowboy style RV. I picked up my load in Spanish Fork and hauled it to Cedar City. I then picked up a load in St. George and am headed to Portland, OR. I blog from none other than Beaver, UT. I'll watch out for pronghorn deer.

10/10/09, 6:13 AM

Had a call from Crystal yesterday.
Sorry to hear she'd been in a serious auto accident. Talked a bit with Josh also. Glad to see he made it back from Afghanny.

10/10/09, 6:15 AM

Post a Comment