Good "ole" U.S. OF A.  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Mount Robson ~ Jasper National Park

We are back in the good in the United States. It is so nice to know what the speed limit is and you do not have to be mathematician to figure out what the gas pump is telling you. Tonight, we are in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Since my wife is addicted to "Desperate Housewives" we drove the 551 miles from McBride, British Columbia today.

It was a good trip, we stopped on a regular basis so "Dutch" and I could scout out some future fishing trips. We saw so many beautiful, small and fishable rivers today. In comparison of the three access routes to the Alcan Highway starting in Dawson Creek, this route is the most spectacular in regards to the length and scope of the terrain.
I love the mountains and "rocks" in general. The mountains of Jasper and Banff National Park are spectacular. Their ruggedness and rock formations make them unique.
This particular picture is unique, it was only when I put it on the computer did I notice the ladies face on the mountain. I do not recall the name of the mountain but I read all the informational boards at this site and nothing was mentioned about a face. I hope one of you can see it, I am known for seeing faces on mountains, especially when I am until sedation.
The only disappointment today was the lack of big game animals that we had expected to see. But, that is wildlife viewing, sometimes you see, sometimes you don't! We did see a good number of deer outside of the parks.
On the last mountain pass, on the downward side we saw a herd of Big Horn Sheep just below timber line. It took me about forty minutes and ten rest stops but I got within shooting distance. I was disappointed that no rams were with them, but the ewes and lambs were very cooperative and undisturbed by my intrusion. I got above them and got shots of them coming up the slope, I was within six feet of them most of the time. Two curious lambs, I really wanted to adopt them, they were quite inquisitive about me.

Tomorrow, we head south with our next National Park being Yellowstone and followed by the Grand Teton Park. We will be visiting them on Wednesday. Tomorrow we will explore Montana and Idaho from the secondary highway systems.

This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at Sunday, October 04, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

A quick note for you....lots of construction between Moran Junction and Dubois, and roads tore down to gravel. But you are probably going through Jackson down to Dinosaur and Grand Junction to get to Montrose. Just came through that way last week on our vacation. Did you get the America the Beautiful pass?

10/4/09, 9:26 PM

Oh you will have to try an grab one on your way north...it would make a wonderful addition to the HITW!

10/5/09, 2:45 AM

Post a Comment