A Sad Past  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I am currently on my 15th trip over the Alcan Highway. Two years ago when I made this trip for the first time in many years, I felt a little remorse that it was not the same as I remembered as a youngster.
The Alcan Highway was an engineering marvel, built during war time to provide a transportation route from the lower 48 to Alaska. The highway was built in record time by the U.S. Army, contractors, and local labor from the communities scattered along the route.
I made my first trip over the highway in the spring of 1956, seeing the country from Colorado to Alaska from the back of a truck.
Today, as I travel the highway, I cannot but notice and feel remorse at all the old lodges, gas stations, and cafes that have been closed. The majority of the old places that I saw as a child are now abandon, boarded up, and slowly dying of neglect. These structures and businesses were essential to the development and traveling the highway.
Times have changed and the history being erased. The highway has been re-routed in so many places, time and expediting is now more important. The lodges along the highway flourished in the days past. Today, with larger gas tanks, fuel economy, and a highway that can safely be driven at 55-75 mph. A full tank of gas will now take you from community to community. In the past with top speeds 0f 30 t0 45 mph, smaller gas tanks, less economical engines the drivers depended on the lodges as refueling stops. Today, the motor homes roll past their doors requiring no service. The lodges were not only essential for driving the highway, when you made the trips enough times the owners become your friends and always welcomed you.
But the modern times has also had an affect on the smaller communities, much like the Interstate Highway system in the lower sates.
"The Forgotten Alcan Town"
Champagne, Yukon Territory

The history of Champagne, Yukon Territory dates back to the early 1800's when it was a trading area for not only Canadian Indians but also Alaskan Indians. The area remained as a trading post until 1942 when the Alcan Highway was constructed through the community. Many of the residents in the area worked on the development of the highway.

I remember Champagne as a child, several things remained in my memory including hub caps, sod roofed buildings, and Indian burial houses. Several years ago, the Alcan Highway was diverted away from Champagne. Today, a simple little green sign sits along the highway that says "Champagne". Today, I left that highway and took a short trip back into my past and a trip into the history of the Yukon.

The hubcaps I remember from my youth are still there. In the days of old, the Alcan Highway was littered with blown tires and hubcaps that had fallen from the cars and trucks due to the bumpy, gravel roadway. If you were a seasoned driver of the highway, if you found a hubcap and it did not fit your rig, you put it in the vehicle and dropped it off in Champagne. The garage walls were filled with hubcaps and in time poles were erected to hold the excess. They are still there today, a prominent sign stating that they are not "For Sale" is also displayed.

Signs Of The Past In Champagne

Two Of A Dozen Sod Roofed Buildings Dating Back To Pre-Alcan Highway


On my first trip, I recall holding my baby brother, who is now in his 50's and my little sister standing in front of a Indian burial house in Champagne. I have this picture in my collection at home, this is possibly the same site. There has to be so much history at this site, however, out of respect we did not intrude.

This sign was attached to one of the many old buildings in the small community. It caught my attention that perhaps it would be a good one to put on display in our family campground, the Hole In The Wall.



It was a great visit into the past, I feel fortunate that it had existed as I remembered.

This entry was posted on October 1, 2009 at Thursday, October 01, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Nice pics of the relics.
That was tall cotton in the first post, also.

10/1/09, 9:49 PM

I vaguely remember hubcaps when we drove through but I am not sure if it is the same site. We drove up in 1989?
I wish I could remember the trip more and appreciated it but as I was a young kid I just remember being bored and driving my mom crazy!
The other thing that stood out was our stop at the border...my mom dealing with them and then when they asked my mom if she had purchased anything? (I am thinking it was fruit but could be wrong)I had to pipe up about all the stuff we had bought, you know toys and crap...needless to say my mom put a gag order on me at the next stop!
we had to take our dog out of the car, did you guys have to take Dutch out?
Heather also read the post and thought you were closer so I will have to pull up a map for her to get an idea where you guys are at!
Hope the truck is running well and just to let you know SD saw snow yesterday so it is here!

10/2/09, 5:02 AM

Also had the pleasure of going to work with Heath yesterday and saw some northern Nebraska. It was a fun trip and again neat to see Heath at his job which is definitely more physical than I would have thought!
While we there had a chance to learn some interesting thing about the crops and was surprised to see some of the feed corn still mostly green. I guess the farmers do not like to harvest until it is completely dry.
Keep an eye out for road construction on your way down as several of our roads and bridges are being resurfaced with some of the stimulus money from our dear president. I did not notice anything wrong with the roads but then again I am from Ak and our roads can be rough!
Also found some really pretty bushes yesterday and I wondering if they could be transplanted several miles north and would they survive the trip north?

10/2/09, 5:11 AM

Glad to hear the trip is going well, Cool, old town, for some reason I feel like I have seen those hubcaps. Must have been from photo's.
We saw Josh last night briefly then stuck him on a plain to Homer. That boy has grown!

10/2/09, 7:32 AM

Intrude hell, I believe Vern intruded long ago perhaps releasing spirits from the comforts and shelter of the houses to wander restlessly for eternity.

10/3/09, 9:56 PM

Post a Comment