It Was A Good Hunt  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I pulled out of Anchor Point at first light on Sunday morning for a "photo shooting" expedition for wildlife. It was a good day, no sooner had I left my home and I recalled a quotation from my son, Shane. One day after a morning of Silver Salmon fishing one of the ball players that played on his team ask him, "did you catch any Silver's this morning?" Shane simply replied, "No, but I caught a beautiful sunrise!" That is how my day started as I pulled out of Anchor Point.
The sun was just starting to break the horizon and I knew it would be a good day.

Sunrise ~ Anchor Point, Alaska ~ December 6, 2009

A few minutes later, the sun kissed the tip of Mt. Iliamna,


I could not resist taking a shot at a "close up kiss"


My "photo safari" would take me to the headwaters of the Kasilof River on Tustamena Lake. From Tustamena, I decided to venture further north and stopped just short of crossing the Moose River. From Sterling, I would turn east and go to the headwaters of Swanson River hoping to find both Moose and Caribou. What a great trip, found some very interesting places to visit this next summer on the Swanson River Road. I must admit, the sighting of "wildlife" was very limited, in total I saw one cow moose. Wanting to shoot something, I shot my dog, "Dutch", he always likes to pose for the camera.

In total, my photo safari took us 213.6 miles but it was successful, a great show awaited us as we turned south on the Sterling Highway to head home.


Sunset Over Cook Inlet ~ December 6, 2009

Sunset Over Ninilchik ~ December 6, 2009

As Darkness Settles ~ Happy Valley, Alaska ~ December 6, 2009

Rays of Sun and Winter Darkness Mingling ~ December 6, 2009

The mission was not accomplished, no wildlife pictures were taken.
However, one must ask themselves in situations like this; Was the trip a waste of time? I can only simply reply, "No, it was not because, I was fortunate to catch both the sunrise and sunset"
That is all that one can ask for.

This entry was posted on December 6, 2009 at Sunday, December 06, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Sounds like a wonderful day... with some great shots.

12/6/09, 11:21 PM

Beautiful shots!

12/7/09, 10:20 AM

Just checked my personal weather station: Current temperatures at 8:51 p.m. AST:
Anchor Point, Alaska ~ 37 Degrees
Montrose, Colorado ~ 31 Degrees
Anchorage, Alaska ~ 24 Degrees
Lincoln, Nebraska ~ 22 Degrees

12/7/09, 8:53 PM

Post a Comment