Lurking In The Woods  

Posted by Stan Harrington

As a child growing up I was often told that "monsters" lurked in the woods and their diets consisted primarily of small children. As I entered my teen years, I was brave enough to go deep into the woods and survived. Now that I am in my "Golden" years, I am a skeptic that such "monsters" exist. That was until 2:32 p.m. on Thursday, December 3, 2009.

I know that my children will perhaps think the "old man" is slipping a few gears and will likely start talking about having me committed. However, I assure you, I know what I saw and now my concern is that of my grandchildren and great grandchildren. They venture into these same woods on a daily routine during the summer months and occasionally in the winter. I make this posting only to warn them of the dangers that do lurk in the woods at the "Hole In the Wall", our family recreational site.

Following the recent heavy snowfall, I spent the day on Thursday plowing out the recreational area. With me, I had two dogs, "Ruger" and "Dutch". At the entry to the "Bowl Area" of the campground, a large patch of alders were weighted down with the heavy snow load. As I pushed the snow down the driveway, each time I would pass that patch of alders, "Ruger" would growl. Throughout the day, I passed this spot a hundred times either going forward or backing up to catch a blade of new snow that had to be moved a quarter of a mile. "Ruger's" growling persisted, each time I would scold him for the annoyance.

After plowing for a couple of hours and drinking several cups of coffee, I parked in the "bowl area" to admire my job, stretch and let my buddies have a chance to run around and enjoy the campground again.

As soon as "Ruger" hit the freshly plowed snow, he headed for the alder bushes that he had been growling at. About the time that he hit the alders, I heard a loud scream and the constant barking of "Ruger". The scream was unlike any that I have ever heard, at first I thought to be a wounded rabbit but the growl was too deep. When "Dutch" heard the commotion, he went back inside of the truck and crouched down on the seat. I made an attempt to call "Ruger" off of whatever he was upset at, but he was not paying any attention to me. The growling and screaming continued, as I picked the shovel out of the back of my truck and walked towards the alders.

Due to the snowfall, I could not see inside of the alders and "Ruger" was on the backside of the clump of alders. With a wide swing with my shovel, I smacked the alders to disperse the snow. It was only then, I saw what "Ruger" was upset about. When I first spotted the animal, it had it's back to me, then turned and stared directly into my eyes. Being that close, the growl or scream was only intensified in volume, the glaring eyes, and wide mouth. I could hear "Ruger" but could not see him. I retreated backward very slowly a few feet and then turned back to my snowplow. What little part of the animal that I saw, it looked to be eighteen inches tall, gray in color, and big mouth lined with rows of white teeth.

Retrieving my camera in one hand and my shovel, I returned to the alder patch. Turning on the camera and pushing back the alders with the shovel, I could not see any sign of the animal that I had previously seen. "Ruger" continued his constant barking and growling so I knew it remained in the area. Moving over to an area where the snow had fallen from the alders and was deeper, just as I approached the spot, the animal which I will now refer as the "snow monster" came up out the snow. He was so fast when he surfaced from the snow pile, again looking me in the eye, growling, and snapping his jaws together. I did manage to get off two quick shots with my camera, before he darted deeper into the alders. It appeared that he was standing upright on two feet, however, I later discovered by looking at the tracks in the snow he was four footed, although the front two feet were smaller than the hind feet.

In just a few seconds, I caught a glimpse of him leaving the alder patch in the direction of the "Moose Wallow" and again I saw him as he cut across "Grannies Gulch" trail and headed towards the "Buffalo Wallow" with "Ruger" in hot pursuit. They both disappeared into the deeper alders on the side bluffs of the bowl. His hindquarters were taller than his front shoulders, which was the reason that I thought he was standing upright when I first saw him. In the deep snow he left clear tracks, the front two feet were a couple of inches smaller than the back feet, however, each of them had five distinct toes. However, after putting the pictures on the computer, I discovered that the toes were predominantly claws.

I returned to the site where we first saw the creature or monster, it appears he or she had a den in the bank of the hill under the roots of an older tree and a old log. Fresh blood was in the area with tuffs of white hair, which I am presuming was from the Snowshoe Hares that inhabit the area. Whatever it was, it was definitely a meat eater.

I could still hear "Ruger" barking at the monster on the bluff behind the "Bear Den" and "Wolf Den". It was only after I returned to the truck and started the engine that "Ruger" finally called off the hunt and returned, stopping occasionally to look over his shoulder.

After viewing the pictures on the computer, I returned to the campground on Friday. This time, I came prepared, I carried a shotgun with me. I do not know if I would have shot it, but I would liked to have known what I encountered. I checked out the area, I found two additional den areas. The first behind the "Duck House" in the old log pile, again there is blood and white hair. In this area, I also found some "scat" that had particles of bone and hair in it. The second den I located was on Bear Creek Trail, about mid way up the bluff under a large boulder. This site was also littered with the same evidence but the snow was packed down and it appeared that the foot prints were much smaller than the original tracks that I saw. It is possible that we have at least three of these creatures in the area or perhaps a mating pair.

I have no concept of what it was. I have to assume by the defensive posture and gestures it directed towards me the only reason it did not attack was my size. I also think that "Ruger" has possibly had contact with it previously because he was not in any rush to attack it. The entire time, he remained back a safe distance as to where he could escape. As quickly as he responded by growling and barking when we first arrived in the area, even from the truck seat, further confirms my suspicion that he has knowledge of the animal.

I am concerned, with my "grandchildren" and great "grandchildren" playing in the area as I am not convinced it would attack a smaller person or smaller pet animals. Over the next couple of days, I will check the area on a daily basis and possibly even set up a "baiting area" that I can observe from the "Water Tower". Please inform your children of the existence of this creature or creatures and insure we keep a watchful eye when they are playing in the area.


I have researched everyplace I can think of on the www and have not found anything relating to a creature of this appearance. For now, we will just call it a "Snow Monster".



This entry was posted on December 5, 2009 at Saturday, December 05, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

THAT WAS FUNNY!

12/6/09, 6:21 AM

Not as funny as the officiating in the Nebraska / Texas game yesterday. Were those refs all from Texas? Now, I really do not have a dog in this fight, although in the 70's I was a avid Husker fan but over the years have strayed from the college games until recently. Although, Nebraska lost the game by one point (two touchdown underdogs going in)with one second left. that one second that was put back onto the clock will always be disputed ~ my opinion ~ time had run out and the last 1 second field goal opportunity should not have been allowed. There were numerous other bad calls that seem to always go against Nebraska, especially in the 2nd half. Again, my humble opinion is that the defense of Nebraska won that Championship game.

12/6/09, 8:10 AM

I was thinking you may have caught up with another lynx.

12/6/09, 10:39 AM

Post a Comment