Birds Of Prey  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Life in the little Village by the River is good, sitting under cloudy skis but so far this season, that is quite normal. The River is once again quiet, the peaceful time of the season when there will be no fishing until the River opens again on July 1st.
This past weekend, Mother Buffalo discovered the bird nest in the tree behind the Multi-Purpose Building. She identified it as the nest of the Magpie, a pretty bird but somewhat annoying at times, especially early in the morning when it is feeding on bits of herring a top your camper.
Yesterday, while surveying the damage to the multi-purpose building which was created by the earth's shifting crust, I investigated the bird nest a little closer. I was somewhat surprised by the number of little birds and their coloration so I referred to the Golden Granny's Bird Watcher Book. I was not surprised to find out that the nest and it's inhabitants had been a case of mistaken identity. Magpie babies do not have red heads!
The nest is the home of a Woodpecker. I should have known that because the other day while catching up on some reading while visiting the little building, I heard a tapping on the side of the building and thought it was just one of the kids trying to scare me. In the Birdie Book, it states "that the Woodpecker specie is attracted to newly constructed buildings as they are a breeding ground for insects that have not been disturbed, especially when the building is utilized as an excrement depository". It seems as though it attracts flies, which attracts the Woodpecker. Further research revealed that the Magpie is scavenger bird and will rob the nest of other birds for either the eggs or the newly born babies. The Magpie, we observed in the area was strictly there to get into the nest. With the presence of this bird in the area, it also served as a decoy to the true inhabitant of the nest.
Not wanting anything to happen to the little "peckers" I cut out a silhouette of a Eagle and placed it in an adjoining tree. For further insurance, I put the hat of the "Woodpecker" Clan in another tree to make the marauders think that Parent Pecker was at home. Today, I will go through the camp of the Buffalo and see if I can find some clothes that Homer left behind and build a scarecrow to stand beside the building for further insurance and protection of the birdies until they are fully grown.
I do wish that someone would have told me that being "Campground Host" is a full time job. Hopefully, the financial donations at the end of the season will compensate me for my time and personal expense. Keeping up the grounds is not bad, but also being the Game Warden and Zoo Keeper is really infringing on my nap time.

This entry was posted on June 20, 2006 at Tuesday, June 20, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

I can't wait to see some pictures... of the birds and the outhouse.

About the nap thing....do what i do just take a nap and pertend the chores don't matter.

6/20/06, 11:07 PM

sister he takes a nap while pretending to be doing chores. I am glad your making an effort to keep those little baby birdies safe and alive...I am not sure I believe the wood pecker title for the babies as I saw two mag pies returning to that nest with food in their mouths and leaving again empty...they must be fattening up the baby peckers for a feast. At any rate with the feeding done by both mag pies and the parents those baby birds should do just fine...but just in case...papa buffalos "g" is hanging in the bathroom....should look good on the scarecrow with papas waders.

6/21/06, 7:12 AM

Post a Comment