Midlife Crisis  

Posted by Stan Harrington

As a young man, I always heard the term "mid life crisis" that supposedly all men and women will eventually enter as they gain maturity. This is a phase of my life that I have missed even though I have entered my late fifties. Although I have seen male acquaintances enter this phase in their life and do some real weird things. For some reason, there is a need to escape back to their youth by collecting fast sport cars, airplanes, boats, blonds, and especially motorcycles. What I have noticed in recent years, the number of "older" people, men and women, who go out and purchase a motorcycle that is more expensive than a Suburu. They travel around the state and nation by forming "motorcycle clubs" which as younger people we always referred to as "gangs". Now that they have exceeded fifty, they purchase a "hog", not necessarily blond to revitalize their youth. I did not like motorcycles when I was young, why would I want one now? However, after seeing some our friends make this transition, the "Golden Granny" thought it would be something she may like to try so out of better judgment, I conceded to her that we would try it.

If you have wondered why I have not been blogging, it is simply because I have been spending my time developing a plan and design that would meet our needs as well as our budget for our first motorcycle. Today, the project was completed and the "Golden Granny" is ecstatic and cannot wait for our first "road trip" to LA. As I speak our "hog" sits in the yard and ready to hit the roadways of our great state, however, I am not considering the attachment of "sidecar" so I won't have to set behind "Golden Granny" if she wants to take a turn at driving. I did take it out for a test drive this afternoon. I need to tinker with it a bit, but going down Anchor River Hill I got her to purring at 34.5 m.p.h. On the level, in the one mile stretch of the Beach Road, I ran a good 26.7 m.p.h. with only an occasional backfire but I may have had a mixed the oil and gasoline a little rich so I will try it again tomorrow. I figure, if I can get her up to a steady 30 m.p.h., it will only take seven hours to get into LA which is not bad. Now that I have taken it out for a ride, I am really looking forward to taking all of my grandchildren for a ride, but my sons, both natural and by law will not be riding my ride. They are far to young to enter "mid life crisis" because I have a feeling that this ride could be a real "chick" magnet. If you see us on the highways, give us a big wave and a wide berth as the eyes and ears are not as keen as they once were.

This entry was posted on June 7, 2006 at Wednesday, June 07, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Nice bike!!! Not sure it will get you any chicks but...it is better then the lawn mower I was picturing as I read your post!!!

Thanks for taking all the guilt with grandma's birthday....I am sooooo Bad!

6/8/06, 8:03 AM

Is that a 4 x 4?

6/9/06, 6:09 AM

Only you would noticed, I used some 4 x 4's but also a few 2 x 4's and the main frame is a laminated to insure the sdtrength that I needed to support the engine and surface required for mounting the side car.

6/9/06, 10:51 AM

Post a Comment