Holiday Prattles  

Posted by Stan Harrington

With the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend coming to a close, I can now start concentrating on my favorite holiday of the year, Christmas. Had a very nice Thanksgiving. I ate so much turkey this year! I did not realize how much I had consumed until this afternoon while outside playing ball with "Dutch". Feeling a touch a gastric build up and with no one being around, I sparked off a "Flatulent Disorder". It even scared me, it sounded like a flock of gobbling wild turkeys! Although, he is a highly trained retriever, Dutch has never been exposed to turkeys so he headed to the safety of the underside of the old snow plow truck. I did not think anything about it until a few minutes later, three shot gun toting hunters came wandering through the yard looking for a flock of turkeys that they had heard. Sure glad the "Golden Granny" decided not to bake a ham to go along with the turkey. But it did give me a good idea for duck season next year. I will eat a half dozen ducks before I go hunting and then I will not have to use a duck call.

We have commenced our preparation for Christmas, Sissy and Butch were down from LA for Thanksgiving, I heard Sissy putting the con on her grandmother on Thanksgiving morning. The following day, the Christmas tree appeared from the basement. The 25th was spent decorating the Christmas tree, but they had a grand time putting on all the trim, so much for the tradition that the tree was not go up until after the birth date of the Bull Moose.

The Bear Clan was also out for Thanksgiving dinner, you will never recognize Blonde Bear, I have never seen anyone grow as fast as she has. She is four inches taller than she was this past summer. We had a tough football game to watch that evening, our favorite team lost, again! Hey, there is always next year and we still have a shot at a wild card spot in the play offs, you just have to be flexible to be a Bronco fan.

Has been a very slow news weekend, why is it that no news ever happens on holidays? All the top news commentators take the holiday weekends off. Who takes it upon themselves to cancel the news?

In fact the news was so sparse this weekend, the only thing of interest I could find was the following;




The pictures of the dogs were taken at a recent dog show in Japan, the cat was not in the competition but just happened to wander in to see what was going on when thirty nine of the these little ankle nippers took after it. The cat won the jumping competition but they could not find her to award her the ribbon. Not that I am a jealous type person, but I see these little cross breeds between dog and cat getting international attention because they jump over a bar that is about six inches off the floor. The last dog show that "Dutch" was in, he won Best of Show by clearing two four foot fences while retrieving a duck decoy. He never got his international fame and glory! Don't the Dog shows in Anchor Point, Alaska count?

Speaking of dogs, who does this remind you of?



I must start preparing for Christmas, I have to start composing my annual Christmas letter, so much to tell, so little time and space.

This entry was posted on November 26, 2006 at Sunday, November 26, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I am glad to hear you had a good thanksgiving...and that you are still enjoying good cooking. I would swear the cartoonist had met our dogs! At least the weiners have nothing hanging to freeze.

11/26/06, 9:51 PM

I am sorry to hear the trukey is still coming back on you...so you need some "oops disposable panties"?
Lily can jump pretty high, probably 3 1/2 feet...and Jewels dances now. Maybe i can show my weiners.

11/26/06, 11:29 PM

Still think the cartoon looks like Spike in a snow drift.

11/27/06, 6:33 PM

Post a Comment