Aviation History  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Aviation history was made today, when the new "Airbus" made it's maiden trans-Atlantic flight. Eight hours after take off, it landed in the United States following the same flight course of Charles Lindbergh. The big "Airbus" is as the name implies. It has the capacity to carry 550 passengers and twenty three crew members. It also has two dining dining areas, including one that serves full course diners. We have all waited in line at airports, waiting to board an airplane, this morning it took 20 minutes to load the capacity of the aircraft. I have waited at Homer International much longer to load four passengers! Keeping in mind the effect this "Airbus" could have on "Global Warming", it only consumes one gallon of gas per passenger every eighty miles. I did the math for you based on 500 passengers, the flight covered 3,500 mile in eight hours. At that rate, it averaged 437.5 miles per hour, burning 21,875 gallons of fuel!


On May 20, 1927 at 7:52 a.m., Charles Lindbergh became airborne in an attempt to complete the first trans-Atlantic solo flight to Paris, France. The "Spirit of St Louis" made aviation history by landing in Paris on May 21st after being airborne for 33.5 hours. Compared to the "Airbus" he traveled at the speed of 104.48 miles per hour. For his flight, Charles Lindberg accomplish the feat on 451 gallons of fuel. For his comfort, he packed three sandwiches and two canteens of water. The "Airbus" has a total of four pilots, Lindbergh did it by himself. He had a compass, no automatic locating device, no GPS, and no communications with the ground, he did not even have a "in flight movie". You be the judge as to the whom the best pilot is, the "new era" pilot driving the "Airbus" or the guy with a lot of guts and will to survive that flew this route by himself eighty years ago.

Sorry, no pictures of this aviation story that was buried in the back pages of your daily news. On the same day of the maiden voyage of the "Airbus" . On a different airline flying the route between Deli to London, a gentleman in the First Class section was surprised when the flight crew seated a passenger next to him while they were in flight. She had an in flight upgrade from Coach to First Class. The only problem and quite upsetting to the gentleman passenger, she was dead! She had passed away in flight and not wanting to cause stress and duress in Coach, the flight crew thought it best to move the body to First Class. Her daughter was then brought forward and seated in First Class Section so she could watch her mother and begin the mourning process. Problems were encountered, although they strapped the lady in and braced her with pillows, she kept falling over on the gentleman passenger. If perhaps, you consider this as one of my prattlings. The name of the gentleman passenger was Paul Trinder, age 54 and flying on British Airways. Although, British Airways has apologized, I think Mr. Trinder will most likely have open tickets to anywhere he wants to fly for the remainder of his life. Stop and think for just a second, what would you do if you were in his position? For me, I think I would be spending the next nine hours locked in the bathroom!

This entry was posted on March 19, 2007 at Monday, March 19, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

Can anyone tell me what the secret is to the font size with New Blogger. I have tried everything with the font button. Made them all large, then highlighted them and changed to small and vice versa - for some reason, I cannot get them adjusted the same. Where is "tinker"? The river question you asked is answered on my Green River Comments. A little Alaska trivia, we lived in A.P. at the time operating the Silver King Lodge.

3/20/07, 7:50 AM

Are you copying and pasting from word? Cause it will do that...not sure why...but it does. I can't tinker that, thats a blogger thing.

I was thinking the river was the Anchor...but I couldn't find fact.

As for a dead guy... seated next to me...I would have trade seats. sitting in a dead guys seat is better then sitting next to him.

Taylor is going to have to fly home from Shriners on a gurney...I will make sure to bring an extra sheet. I will keep her covered and all doped up...wonder what the other passengers will say?

3/20/07, 9:14 AM

I am not using word, doing my posting directly through the posting screen on blogspot. I have tried everything. I even tried to adjust the small print on this posting to large so it would match up - but it stll came out small! Maybe it will work if I use a different color?

3/20/07, 10:31 AM

Highlight it, then click on the font size it IS. Then, click another size.
You may have to be smarter than the software...never mind.
I would take Heidi's position on not sitting in a dead lady's seat! If you had to sit beside her, at least the flight would be quiet.
How many people could have medical issues - out of 500 people - during a cross-Atlantic flight? Do they have medical facilities to accommodate a few passengers? Or, just selective seating?; "We're sorry. The flight has reached it's 2% elderly and ailment limit for this flight. You will be rescheduled at our earliest convenience."

3/20/07, 5:03 PM

Sorry Plumma - I trtied it your way and no it does not work. After several failed attmepts, I returned to your page to see how it looked, you have the same problem that I have encountered, do not tell me that you laid out your page in that manner. to insure, I was nto wrong, I went to a second and third site, smae problem, different size fonts in the gut of the posting. Nothing worse than being hit in the gut with a font.

3/20/07, 10:15 PM

That passenger would do anything for an upgrade to first class. Did she have a "stiff" drink before
passing on?

3/21/07, 9:01 AM

You dork, Stan. I can still read your posting when you've screwed it up. And, actually, it looks like a lot less to read if I don't have to scroll the page. Plummas get A.D.D. if there is more than one page of directions.

3/21/07, 4:59 PM

Post a Comment