"The Lion Sleeps Tonight"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

This sunny day, I was out and about destroying perfectly good 2"x4"s with my chop saw. Taking a short break, our little friend "Crackers" came out on the branch of the tree to let me know he was around or possibly calling on his friends that the bird feeder still had seed. A few minutes later, I looked up in the tree to see him sitting on a branch, then I noticed why he was chattering, sitting on the opposite side of the tree and down just a touch an intruder had invaded his territory. Immediately, I thought porcupine. Next thought was dogs and my .22 calibre pistol. Walking over to the tree, I was able to get a better view of the intruder. The "stalker" had come out of the house for the first time this spring, she was hunting and had her prey in sight. The prey also had her in his sight. He stayed on one side of the tree and she the other. I did not time the event, "Crackers" did not want to give away is position and "Lion Cat" was content to wait until "Crackers" got foolish. After sitting on their respective branches for over an hour, they called it a draw. "Mama Cat" crawled down from her twenty foot perch and returned to the house to wait for another day.



This entry was posted on April 22, 2008 at Tuesday, April 22, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Great cat shot... poor crackers! Once I found a Squirrel tail in my shoe. Lucy liked to hunt.

4/22/08, 9:11 PM

that is cute...guess mama cat should have climbed the other tree.

4/22/08, 10:00 PM

She DOES look intent on a warm meal. I hope she finds a bird to eat so that squirrel doesn't kick her ask.

4/23/08, 5:45 AM

Post a Comment