Prattle Ramblings  

Posted by Stan Harrington


Another sign of spring, time to dig out the old highway tires and wait for an appointment to replace the studded tires on your vehicle. This is one of those things that I hate to do twice a year. It ranks right up there with taking garbage to the dump site, refueling my truck, and going to the post office. I hate rotating tires so much that I have not changed from my studded tires on my snowplow since I bought it, about eight years or so ago. However, starting this year, this expensive and time wasting chore maybe eliminated for my every day vehicle. Coming this fall we will be seeing a new studded tire. The are called Q Celsius and manufactured by a new company that has just raised the 8.8 million dollar start up capital. The beauty of these tires is that the studs are "retractable". In testing, the tires have been approved for use in the majority of the states. When driving down the dry highway and it starts to freeze or snow, you simply push a wireless remote control, air pressure from the tires applies enough pressure in the small chamber holding the stud and it pops out. When the roads become dry again, push the button and the studs retract. The tires will be marketed at first in those states that have the most severe winters. Perhaps, if "global warming" does not his us, we in Alaska may get the chance to see these tires. Perhaps, our PFD this next year will cover the cost of them.

This albino "gator" is currently on display at a zoo in Germany. However, it is a "legal resident" of the United States. Prior to being captured, it was happily living in the bayous of Louisiana. This the first known white gator that has been captured. Prior to being taken hostage, I would guess that it most likely sobered up several "Billy Bobs" while they were out fishin cats in the bayou and sippin a bit of the moonshine. One has to wonder what all of the other gators thought of their cousin or even perhaps their brother or sister, whatever sex it is. How do you tell? With pink eyes and white body he / she must have had a lot of difficulty hiding while waiting for their next meal. Even when partially submerged, those pink eyes and white forehead is going to keep him / her from looking like a log.







This picture made national news and one of those that we all wish that we would have or could have shot. This is the Church of Latter Day Saints in Palmer, Alaska and the picture was taken on March 26th.


This entry was posted on April 3, 2008 at Thursday, April 03, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Dang... I should really start mt Steeple project.
Way cool gator... and this year I did not switch out my tires, I guess if you procrastinate long enough it will save you time later.

4/3/08, 6:48 AM

I love the picture!!! I was hoping to catch some pictures of of the northern lights before we left but did not see any worth shooting and did not have the right set up!

4/3/08, 12:06 PM

...i bet women will love to have a stud that stands up or retracts at the push of a button.

4/4/08, 4:41 AM

I wish I had shoes with that Kind of tread....I still need longer legs... this walking thing is cool though

4/4/08, 9:26 PM

What do you think of the walnut tires. My mom has heard about them and become interested in them up in Soldotna, but I dont know much about them down here in Colorado.

4/8/08, 1:38 PM

Post a Comment